Kidde Smoke & CO detector

Has anyone here migrated from wink and also brought along their Kidde Smoke & CO detectors? This is the only thing left on my Wink hub.

Kidde Battery Operated Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Combination Detector with Wire-Free Interconnect and Voice Alarm
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Smoke-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Combination-Detector-with-Wire-Free-Interconnect-and-Voice-Alarm-21027448/205132306

1 Like

Hmm, how does that thing connect to Wink? It looks like other smoke/CO alarms that have their own, proprietary wireless interconnect. No mention of zigbee/z-wave or even WiFi on the product page.

Edit: actually in the specs it does mention WiFi.

Mine are connected via Kidde relay that is hooked up to a zwave contact sensor.

I'm pretty sure it uses zwave. It definitely is not wifi.

So as far as I can tell, the Kidde you link is NOT zwave, zigbee or wifi. From what I understand it is using a radio frequency. From the Wink setup instructions you have to set the dip switches on the wink app to match the dip switch on the Kidde.

"Set the dip switch pattern in the Wink app to match the randomized dip switch pattern on your Kidde alarm."

I don't think Hubitat has that type of antenna?? Someone can better answer that. Looking at the Wink spec, Wink was designed with a Kidde compatible antenna.

EXPANSIVE SUPPORT
With support for Bluetooth LE, ZigBee, Z-Wave, Kidde, and Lutron Clear Connect, Wink Hub 2 works with more smart home protocols than most other hubs.

1 Like

Won't work on HE. Wink supports Kidde 433 MHz.

1 Like

Darn. That would make sense then.

1 Like

I have the same situation, what did you replace them with?

You don't need to replace them. Just get a single EcoLink FireFighter wireless audio detector, and mount it within 6 inches of any one of your Kidde smoke/co detectors.

The Ecolink FF (costs ~$35-40) is a z-wave device that specifically detects smoke/CO alarms. It pairs to the Hubitat as a z-wave device and can be used as a trigger upon detection of smoke/CO alarm audio.

Because the Kidde detectors are wirelessly interconnected, when any of them is triggered, all of them start alarming, including the one that is adjacent to the Ecolink FF. So, you need only one of them.

I purchased one of these when I moved from Wink to Hubitat. It has worked flawlessly. I check my Kidde Smoke/CO alarms once every 2-3 months. On both occasions, rule machine automations that are based on the Ecolink FF being triggered have worked flawlessly.

1 Like

Solid advice. Ordered me one!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.