Key fob recommendations

No zigbee products at all?

1 Like

I believe the Iris Key Fob is Zigbee. I might pick one up myself before they are gone. I have a bunch of Iris stuff and it’s incredibly snappy and reliable.

Not a fan of Zigbee and avoid at all cost.

Yeah the 3450-L2 can be had for 20 bucks and works great on Hubitat. Works as a presence sensor too.

Bought an Iris v2 fob off eBay. It sucks. The design of the battery housing at the back is pathetic. Mine just won't get a good seating with the battery so it is ultra unreliable. Basically it's been a complete waste of money (especially with the costly shipping to Asia, sigh). I've also got a SmartThings presence sensor fob. Actually the battery bay on this is also rubbish but you can at least get at it and wrap some tape around the battery to hold it in place. No buttons on this of course but I've found it reliable.

I suggest the following two products (same native driver):

or:

1 Like

Those look alot bigger then a key fob. Certainly looks like it would be bulky in your pocket.

Approximately the same size. The Aeotec one has an attached lanyard with ring to attach to keys. It's also rechargeable.

What would be the average battery lifetime for the Fibaro? Do you have some knowledge about that?

Mine didn't last very long.
I also suggest, getting rechargeable CR2450 batteries on eBay with a recharger.

When you say the Iris 3450-L2 "works as presence sensor", does it do that without pressing any buttons on the FOB? Presently I use Life 360 and most of the time I'm already in the house before it acknowledges my presence which I have programmed to Hubitat's HSM so I'm looking for something that will act as a presence sensor automatically without pressing any buttons. I was going to purchase a Smartthings button and program it to Hubitat but didn't think it would be a good idea leaving it in the car. Any suggestions appreciated

@Royski For the RFID Tags.. are they 'generic' or are they specific to zipato?

Wife and I each have RFID tags from work on keychains, would be awesome if they could be recognized and used for the house too...

They follow a specific type I believe. I did look into this at the time. Zipatos site may give you more specific info :+1:

Not sure why use a SmartThings button when they do a presence sensor. Just use that directly. There are a few posts on the forum about people using these in their car with a battery bay adjustment to take larger batteries for much longer life. Then just stick it in the glove box of your car and get reliable presence sensing when you get home (as long as you park reasonably close to the hub). Or put it on your key chain/fob.

Reason for possibly using ST button was that I've used them for other things and they work great with good battery life. The ST presence sensor, from reading the community , have had issues but found Best Buy is selling the presence sensors for $19.99 an free shipping so may try one. THANKS!

Yeah it's pretty good. I've had a few issues mostly around making sure the battery seats properly. Now mine has worked fine for months.

Hello natemate, can you tell me what driver you used for the Aeon Key Fob. I have loaded one which is recognized when the key fob pairs, but it doesn't seem to recognize any button events.

Thank you.

Should be a answer in that thread.

I have a question regarding Smartthings presence fob (last generation grey and white one). Did anyone manage ever to brick it?

I recently purchased two of these, I set one up, and it worked. Then I opened it up to see how one goes about changing the battery, which turned out to be quite a frustrating experience. It took me a bit to figure out how to do it, but after putting the battery back, nothing happens. LED doesn't blink when resetting it, and my HE no longer sees the device. Now I'm scared that I'll brick the other one, which works fine right now, when battery will need replacing. I'd consider returning it, but I'm out of US now, where I bought it, and would just be too much of a hassle.

I haven't bricked it as such. But similarly after fitting a new battery I had horrible trouble getting it to work again. In the end I realised it was poor battery contact. So I wound some insulating tape around the battery nice and tight and it works fine now. Including another battery refit last week. Not sure if it will help in your case.