Keenect Lite (Release)

Great! I was getting worried.... I am moving away from Nest to a new local zigbee thermostat, so I will have 3 data points.

Last but not least, I was thinking of adding a selector for each zone, aggressive/normal/slow for how big the changes could be for the vent. Any thoughts?

That's a great idea. I'd like the ceiling register in my master bath to stay wide open as long as possible, to blow the heat down near floor level. It would also be nice to avoid blowing cold air into a room when the heat begins and the ducts are cold.

Updated main and zone, for fixing a GUI issue, and fixing a case where the app and vent were out of sync.

@napalmcsr Just installed Keenect Lite - thanks for your work on this. So far, it looks promising.

I have 17 Keen vents - every vent in my house. I have Ecobee4. Every room has ST motion (temp) sensors. I have 3 main "zones" in my house, the Master Suite (bed, bath, closet, toilet), the Guest Suite (2 bedrooms & 1 bathroom) and the main part of the house. Actually, my office would be a zone itself as well (has own virtual thermostat).

My goal is to heat/cool the "active" parts of the house and ignore the inactive areas. Typically during the day, the main and my office are active and MBR/Guest areas are inactive. I have RM rules that set active areas to 100% and inactive areas to 20% at morning, evening, sleep, and away modes (with some extra conditions if we have guests present as well).

I added new RM actions to set the virtual thermostats to match the desired settings for each zone base on occupancy. Basically, if an area is not active I set the temps to 65/78 for those zones - same as for away mode. I try to keep the house ~74. I'm hoping having those zones differing that far from Ecobee set point will basically keep those vents closed most of the time. (Closed = 20% min BTW).

Biggest problem I have is my office is always too cold in winter and too hot in summer, so I'm adjusting the thermostat for me and my wife gets upset because the main part of the house gets over conditioned all the time. I'm hoping with your app I can better "target" the rooms that need more heat/cool and likely taper down the areas where she gets overdosed.

I previously used "another" smart vent control app on ST, but it never really did what I wanted - so here's to better luck this time!

I'll reach out if I run into any issues or have questions. Thanks again for all your hard work!

I am here for help or changes needed.
Craig

Appreciate that. Okay 2 things thus far...

How about a "pause" button to disable the main app or even each child? It is currently not behaving as desired and only way to stop it is to delete it afaict.

Second thing - so Ecobee heat is set to 73. As heat is running the app is seeing rooms get to/over the desired temp (actually set to 74 on virtual thermostats) and is closing ALL my vents (to 20% min) before the Ecobee can finish its heat cycle. This means the heat is over running to try to hit its magic 73 set temp and trying to get the temp higher with the vents mostly shut. Is there some flexibility that could be built in to understand the fact the heat is running and might get slightly higher than desired temp to complete the cycle?

on pause, what is your desired action for the vent? Full open?

Second, If you are shooting for 74 and you get there, why would you want the vent to be open more than the minimum? I see what you are asking for, and add some hysteresis, but I don't want too much overshoot in the zones in my case.

On pause - leave it where it is I think. If i'm already in HE and want the vent set otherwise I can certainly do it myself.

On the second... if heat is in running mode and will keep running until actual thermostat hits set temp, if all the vents near it close it will run forever because it can't get to its set temp. That said, the location and type of temp sensors in use often report different than what the thermostat says. I think my solution here will have to be leave the nearest vents to the actual thermostat out of the app and open all the time - but not ideal. hysteresis - ah a setting I can play with, had to look it up :wink:

What I did is the vents closest to the thermostat have a higher setpoint. I also only have 5 vents out of 15 being smart vents.
I'll probably do pause, and control settings in the next release.

Added Pause to Zone only and added vent control user settings to be open more or less as you get closer to the setpoint. Updated in GITHub. I didn't see any issues during testing, but if you could set logging to need help just in case I'd appreciate it.

Just installed 1.0.5, and using Aggressive on a couple of vents. No issues so far.
Thanks!

Me too. Is it me, or are aggressive and slow the opposite of what you think they would be? I'm not going to be home this weekend, so likely won't have any feedback until next week.

I thought of aggressive as being I aggressively want the temperature to change, so keep the vent open wider when close to target. Slow is I want the temperature to change slower, so start closing the vent sooner further from the setpoint. I can be convinced either way.

Gradual and Quicker might be better terminology?

Probably easy to do, but I am worried about the rename causing all of us to have to re-open and save each zone...

Does Fan Mode Opening work? I'm not seeing the vents react to my Fan Mode settings when the Ecobee is doing it's 15 minutes of fan-only circulation .

It does, Check that your thermostat state is "fan only" when it is just fan.

Main thermostat or virtual thermostats for the vents? Or the actual Ecobee?

Main thermostat, which should be the ecobee. you can see what state the zone thinks it is in if you cleck on the gear wheel on the app page and find mainTstatState. It should match the Thermostat.

mainTstatState is Idle while fan-only is on.
I set the minimum fan/hour to 55 minutes, to force the Ecobee fan On, and on the physical thermostat an icon shows that the fan is operating.
BTW, the E3 tile in dashboard stays grey while fan is running. It eventually turns red while actually heating.
Here are the current states for the Ecobee:

Current States

• DeviceWatch-DeviceStatus : online
  • coolingSetpoint : 78
  • deviceAlive : true
  • deviceTemperatureUnit : F
  • heatingSetpoint : 76
  • humidity : 39
  • maxCoolingSetpoint : 82
  • maxHeatingSetpoint : 82
  • minCoolingSetpoint : 70
  • minHeatingSetpoint : 55