Keen Vent 'issue'

I'm not that invested in it... I am more tempted to throw them in the trash and just put manual vents back in, and live with the rooms not being balanced continuously (just do a summer/winter adjustment like I used to).

2 Likes

I wonder if there is a FW update for the vents....

Maybe. I haven't emailed support to ask.

I will say that I only had the vents 9 months on ST before moving to HE... I replaced the batteries exactly zero times on ST... and all 4 vents were still working fine when moved from ST to HE.

So something is different on HE vs ST... I don't know what though as I simply don't have time to sniff it out right now.

I'll try a few more things before doing something more drastic like ripping them out, or moving them back to ST.

Pressure and temp reporting both work on HE, but are not included in the stock driver.
You shouldn't have to enable temp reporting to see if the things dead.
This driver was completly re written in platform 2.1.1, but I must admit I never deployed mine as I intended after the driver update.
So, I have no answer why yours are sucking batteries or why it's refusing to report battery level.
I will however power one up in the lab and keep an eye on it to verify it's either working as expected or not.

Thanks! And thanks for the note re:device activity. I'm glad I was wrong about that! I looked at one that is using the stock driver, and as you say - the last activity time is recent, even though the last event is yesterday.

So it looks like I can just setup a last activity alert as an alternate way to watch the battery. Not sure why I didn't do that a few months/battery changes ago...

Thanks for the state change on battery update in 2.1.4. :+1:

1 Like

@mike.maxwell
So, I hooked up one of my vents to my keen hub, let it stew for a couple of days and then put it back on my hubitat. It no longer responds to move commands or will tell me how open it is.

Any ideas? Other than I shouldn’t have done that...
Thanks!

Ok, the vent moves, but the level doesn’t update.

Yeah, that has nothing to do with it, the vent is reporting level, it's just blowing up when trying to send an event for it.
Probably related to a new install.

Try changing the driver to generic zigbee dimmer, hit refresh, see if the level current state populates, if so switch back to the vent driver and it should be ok.

1 Like

Yup, that fixed it! Nice work around!

1 Like

So did it update the fw?

no idea! The Keen app does not show a FW for the Vent(the field is empty), so I have no before or After...

no, it's an issue on new installs only, will get it fixed...

1 Like

I was just coming to report this same problem with a new Keen vent - the "Generic Zigbee Dimmer" workaround made it all better. Thanks!

For any of those with Keen vents... Here is the kind of thing I've been seeing with my vents on hubitat....

Everything is fine (although reports seem to come in threes for some reason), then the next day -
Dead. Vent moved exactly zero times between 90% battery and 0% battery - so it isn't like I'm moving it a lot and chewing up the battery.

Guess next I'll try to put them back on SmartThings... I only had them on ST for 6 months before moving them to Hubitat, but I replaced the batteries zero times in those 6 months. I replace batteries every 3 weeks or so with them on hubitat....

EDIT: I'm going to try the "press hidden black button 5x" reset method on 1 of the 4 and see if it does anything different. If not, ST as a final test before ripping them out.

Just an fyi, I've had one in the lab for most of the past month open at 9am, close at 10am, it hasn't missed one yet that i recall.

I guess it is good that I'm the only one complaining/having issues - at least it isn't widespread. Just wish I could figure out the issue.

I don't get why some of them report status 2-4 times when I do a single refresh.

And certainly don't get why the batteries die in 3 weeks on all 4 that I own.

They aren't being used in any apps or RM rules at this point (they used to be, but I stopped all of that to see if it would help battery life), so I don't think I'm doing anything that should be polling them more than the standard report rates.

Very perplexing. Would have ripped them out 7 battery changes ago, but I'm stubborn and haven't run out of things to try yet. :smile:

If you're polling them something's wrong...

Agreed, poor choice of wording. Not polling, nor have I ever been polling them.

Is it common for the vent level current state to ONLY change when you manually refresh? I have 6 keen vents and not a single one works. In the attachment, the vent is opening to 18%, but the level current state stays at 9%. Once the room temp is within my setpoints, since hubitat is reporting the vent as 9% open, it's staying at 18% causing temp swings.