Keen Smart Vents

Yea, the Keen site says that the sensor in the vent itself "guesses" at what the room temp will be.

Also, I don't have motion sensors in rooms -- well, per se. The master bedroom has an ecobee sensor, but the other bedrooms only have an echo dot, nothing smart for temps. So, based on that, should I pick up some Keen temp sensors?

And, can the KL app pull in, say the temp from the ecobee thermostat to use with the Keen vents to help control the vents in that room (dining room)?

I wouldn't since I have no idea if they will work with Hubitat or not.

probably, but in my experience events from cloud thermostats are too slow to be of value, someone using KL will have to speak up on what temperature sensors they are using and how well they work with the app.

Using the ecobee room sensors for temp appear to update the temp every 5 minutes. I use these to adjust my ceiling fan speeds automatically.

That's cool.

(what hardware are you controlling your fans with?)

If the temperature sensor is available to hubitat then KL can use it

The Hampton Bay Fan Controller

I'm using Fibaro Door/Window temp sensors to control the Keen Vents, and yes, I have one room where I have both Ecobee and Fibaro sensors (because I tell Ecobee to use bedroom temp for control at night).

After having unsatisfactory experience with Ecobee's connectivity, I no longer use Ecobee or Keen hubs to control the vents, because both companies servers are frequently unavailable. I have awakened in the night too many times to debug vents that weren't working, caused by Ecobee/Keen server outages.

I have Ecobee support in Hubitat only for display, and do not connect it to the Keen vent control in any way. I still see one to three failure-to-connect Ecobee messages in the Hubitat log every day, and there are no Ecobee community comparison reports available to me for June or April, due to server-caused missing data.

I use KeenectLight to control the vents, and with a minor tweak it works fine without anything defined as a master thermostat.

1 Like

Anyone ever try reconnecting their vents to a keen bridge to see if the vent fw would get updated?

Just want to say a big thanks to napalmcsr for the keenect app, between the HE and keenect, I have decided to ditch my Flair vents and switch to Keen. Even though the Flair's build quality is better, they don't seem to be pushing there product in any new directions, if anything they are going backwards now that they have limited their vent control to stickly open or close. And even though they have the ability to open up a local api control, I doesnt seem like something there are actually ever going to open to the public.

My biggest issue with Keen vents was what they didn't do, having vents spread out throughout your house seems like the perfect scenario for a mesh network like Zigbee but they don't offer a hard wire option like Flair had so you loose the repeater ability. This got me thinking, and I'm almost done integrating a hardwired supply with a repeater option for the keen vents (I'm not a fan of having repeaters stuck into my outlets).

I bought the Keen Bridge just to use as a repeater but I did hook up a couple of vents using there interface but didn't notice any firmware updates compared to the vents I didn't hook up.

1 Like

I bought a couple of peanut plugs just for use as a repeater to strengthen the mesh.

You did what?

Rough version seems to be working well.

So pretty cool - no batteries to replace (and I have 17 vents). You also mentioned this makes them zigbee repeater as well? How is that?

I will post a parts list later in case anyone want to make the modification, but essentially I am using a 5 volt power supply along with the guts from a cheap Ikea TRÅDFRI signal repeater and a 3 volt regulator for the vent power (there are two separate circuit boards sandwiched together). The Keen vents take 3 volts to power.

I bought a 12 volt distribution panel and swapped the 12 volt supply with a 5 volt one. All of the LED still properly function, they are just a little dimmer. This panel is good for up to 18 vents.

The dummy batteries are on amazon as well but there kind of pricey, I bought the Chinese ones, they just take a while to get here.

Parts List:

Just a point I learned today. 2 of my vents were not moving, yet we're showing the commanded movement. When I power cycled them, they would not move and we're blinking red twice.

To fix, I manually closed the vent completely. Power cycled. All good. The closing all the way was key.

Pardon my ignorance (brand new to HE), but were your sensors automatically added via the Built-In App Ecobee Integration? If not, how did you go about this?

Did you add the Ecobee via the default built-in integration and just left everything alone/as-is? I’m new to this whole system and tried adding my Ecobee with the built-in app and was left stumped. It automatically severed my Internet/WiFi connection from the thermostat. I do have a Keen hub (not added as of yet) and caused all my vents to stop communicating (opening and closing.) My wife was not happy because my toddler’s room/nursery Keen Vent stopped functioning and his room got really cold. Ended up just reconnecting the Ecobee directly to the Internet as to not anger her any further lol.

Yes when you use the built in integration there is selections to include your room sensors as well as the thermostat (of course the room sensors must be already joined to the ecobee via ecobee's app)