Just purchased 2 units, for homes with Lutron RA2 Select - Concerned

I see posts suggesting that you support Lutron RA2 (Classic), but not Lutron RA2 Select due to issues with being able to leverage telnet. Can you please confirm if you have worked this out, and not support RA2 Select? If not - how do I cancel my order - placed today.

Steve

We support select, you're all good!

Perfect. thank you. Can I suggest you update the list of supported devices to include "Lutron RA2 Select"

1 Like

Buying a new home and it likely won't have neutrals so Lutron is my only option (for LED). Probably have to do RAS2 select due to the # of switches. Two questions:

1.) Is the Hubitat integration local control?
2.) Does it support Lutron scenes (I assume this will control synchronizing of multiple lights turning off and on, enabling it to be more "in sync"

3.) Out of box or does it require a 3rd party app?

Yes, the Hubitat Lutron integration is completely local. It connects to the RA2 system over your LAN. And, yes, it supports Lutron scenes. The Lutron repeater can be included in the integration as a keypad device, and the Lutron scenes can be invoked from automations by pressing the right (phantom) button.

Hubitat Elevation also supports advanced integration with Lutron RA2 keypads, allowing, for instance, the same keypad button to turn on lights at different levels depending on the time of day. This also supports Alexa doing the same thing ("Alexa, turn on the kitchen" would set the levels based on time of day preferences). This mechanism uses Lutron scenes to accomplish its features.

Hubitat also supports Scenes directly, and these can span both Lutron and non-Lutron devices.

Out of the box Hubitat Elevation does not require any third party apps. However, you will need Lutron's app or software for the initial setup of your Lutron system. Information from that app or software is used to create the integration in Hubitat.

Also, with any Lutron system, you can add Pico remotes, which are quite low cost and versatile. These integrate quite nicely with Hubitat.

Hubitat can be used to overcome the device limit of Caséta, RA2 Select or RadioRA2.

Ummm... did you just say you can overcome the 50 device limit with Caseta? Because if so you just found yourself a new customer who will migrate from SmartThings! The only reason I was looking at RA2 select was the device limit with SmartThings, and others.

Could you confirm that? Because I know many other hubs don't allow you to use 2 Lutron accounts (which is required to connect 2 Lutron hubs to most other hubs, like SmartThings)

Yes, you can use 2 or more Smart Bridge Pros on Hubitat Elevation. We use the telnet integration option not a cloud connection to integrate. Again, must use the Pro version of bridge.

I am installing a second bridge just to feed my Pico addiction.

The level of integration that HE has with Lutron is ridiculous, you are pretty much limited by your imagination.

You will need to create a second Lutron account as they only allow one bridge per account. HE is limited by the number of bridges your network switch can handle.

1 Like

I read that a recent security update on the Lutron bridge blocked telnet and started requiring new versions of TLS.. and that telnet integrations broke for a number of 3rd parties. Do you know anything about that?

That would be the SSH connection, our integration uses telnet (not SSH)
Telnet doesn't use TLS

Sorry I should be more clear. I was assuming that they had maybe shut down telnet. Is the U/P sent in plain text? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about overcoming the 50 device limit... but telnet has me a little concerned. I work in IT consulting and the first thing to be addressed and shut down in just about any security scan is telnet.

Almost every high end integration with Lutron uses the telnet interface. It's well documented and the main means for complete integration with their Smart Bridge Pro all the way up through their Radio RA2 products.

They shut down a backdoor using SSH on the consumer non pro Smart Bridge and blocked telnet from it. The integrator supported products did not get shut down.

This is really helpful, thanks. I can do my own research, but if you happen to know offhand.. can I get/setup a Pro bridge without being a dealer? Ordering my Hubitat now

I have bought my Lutron SmartBridge Pro2 and Pico remotes from Energy Avenue.

Energy Avenue

You can also buy a kit on Amazon for a decent price, if you want a Caseta SMartBridge Pro2, Dimmer Wall switch + Pico.
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-P-BDGPRO-PKG1W-Wireless-Dimmer-Bridge/dp/B01AVLTHY2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540726565&sr=8-4&keywords=lutron+caseta+smartbridge+pro

Yes you can. You can purchase from numerous outlets, and setting up requires the Lutron app, which is free in the app stores.

Responding to jkilgour:

If you mean Caseta Pro, Yes. I also got mine from Energy Avenue. The second Caseta Pro hub was just added to my Hubitat Elevation system this week. Right now I only have around 25 devices but when I projected out to completion I realized I would be well over 50 so I decided to bite the bullet now and get the second Caseta Pro hub installed so I won't have to move devices later.

I created two gmail addresses for the two Caseta Pro hubs, one has "upstairs" in the name, the other has "downstairs" in the name. That seemed to be the best way to divide it up logically for the layout and size of my house. It's a small house so I doubt I would have needed another hub for range but I'm sure I will need more than 50 devices.