Just one dashboard, why must I choose it?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but... I only have one dashboard (for my 45 or so devices). When I go to it I always have to click twice. Once to say “I’d like to go to my dashboard, please.” And then after that I’m forced to answer the seeming dumb question of “Of your one dashboards, which one are you saying you want to go to?” Even though each of the zillion times I’ve asked to go to a dashboard I’ve always chosen the only one I have/need.

Can Hubitat look at its customer data and know how many users only have one dashboard (and as such are also enduring this painful first world burden).

Could one imagine a change to the UI whereby if there is only one dashboard and I go to dashboards that one dashboard opens. AND if I DO want to add a 2nd dashboard I click on the plus (+) sign on my dashboard and one of my options is to add a new dashboard. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, again, if I’m being silly and this is already possible or if I’m making my life harder than it need be (e.g. by not having lots of dashboards. I do love my Hubitat.
Scott

2 Likes

If you go into the left side App menu and select your dashboard, you can choose the LAN link. Just create a bookmark when you want the dashboard.

5 Likes

Just run it from your Chrome browser & save an icon to your desktop. That way, one click and bang! its up. Best to run the local version when you are at home so that you get the quickest response.

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

As mentioned you can use Chrome as described, and if you’re an iOS user, you can use the Add to Home Screen opinion in Safari. I’m sure there must be a way to do it on Android too, but I’m not sure how.

The same is true using Chrome on Android (or iOS).

I have two dashes (on my phone), and created a shortcut for each on the "home screen" for quick access. I also have a 3rd that goes to the hubs IP for "field testing" (setting up or adjusting a device). I pretty much do not use the app at all except GEO fencing and notifications.

To try it out open the app, and clicking full screen button

Then click your dash to open in in Chrome (or default browser), click the 3 dots and then "Add to Home Screen". Doing this will remove the URL header, and the Hubitat footer, to give you a much cleaner looking dash. To top it off I added

.dashboard>div>.header>.flex.flex-auto.justify-end>.flex>i {
visibility: hidden;
}

to the CSS to hide the top right buttons. This gives me a pretty "clean" looking, fast loading dashboard.

1 Like

I have the same newbie issue/request. Yes we can bookmark the link, but the link has the dashboard ID hardcoded in it. So if you create a different and only dashboard, the link is not going to work.

It will be a UX feature to default to link to the only dashboard directly.

Love Habitat for sure!
P.K.

Huge thanks to everyone for the replies. Hubitat users are part of the reason Hubitat is so great. Will be trying them out soon.

That having been said... I do already have three “apps” for Hubitat on my iPhone already (local, when not local, and documentation/forums). Adding a fourth Seems a tad lame thus the call out to the Hubitat developers.

Thanks again.

Hi, TechMedX,
Thanks for the reply. I’m ok with the three icons you mention (and terrified of css), BUT I’m intrigued by your tiles. Where can I find info on how to make that happen? Mine are really big, with the Type at the top (switch, outlet, dimmer, ...), icon (or slider/switch) in the middle, and name at the bottom of the tile. As such, they’re really big. Thanks in advance.

Check out smartly by @spelcheck.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-smartly-the-hubitat-dashboard-skin-engine/36681

We can help you with the CSS too. It is just a cut, and paste. (I am not a coder at all!)

Hit me up for any help. I seem to have free time on my hands these days :thinking:

4 Likes

TechMedX

OMG, this will change my life, thanks. Love the new skin options. Picture below.

Current trouble: renaming my dashboard. I named it “First Dashboard”. I now want to do one iPad optimized and one iPhone optimized. I can click gear > advanced > layout and change the json at the bottom and click Save Layout JSON. It looks great. But when I click “dashboards” it’s back to (my version of) Hello World. What am I missing?

3 Likes

Glad you like! Looking good!! Feel free to post issues there too and some of the smarter folks can chime in as well.

To rename a dashboard I would go to Apps > Hubitat Dashboards > First Dashboard and rename it there. Make sure to click the main App not into the dash app itself (that is just for deleting to me)

As for optimization, if you mean different things needed on separate device I get that. However also know if you use the smartly editor to add calibrations for all your devices, the screens will line up better for them all.

I can see on the one you posted there is too much space on the right side. In smartly click the gear and then add your devices to the "calibrate my dashboard" section. Add all the devices you plan to use, and it will automatically size the screen prefect for every device (both portrait and landscape).

If you find a device that is not on the list let us know so we can add it. Well more so I can tell the smarter guys like @spelcheck and he can do it. I'm just a cheerleader :man_cartwheeling:

2 Likes

Scary... stop reading my mind. OK, going to go do that. Thanks.

While I have you. :slight_smile: I see my iPad in my list of devices, but not my iPhone. I don’t recall how I got the iPad in there. I’ve searched the documentation for iPhone iPad but nothing’s found. Do you happen to recall? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure understand this 100%. Are you talking about a device in HE, or smartly calibration?

For smartly - The calibration section is a search function. Start typing "iphone" and you should get a list. If you phone is not on the list let me know what device you are using.

If you mean getting the device into HE (for presence/notification) - Install the app on the device. Log into the app using your Hubitat user/password. When prompted click create new device. After that it should show up in the HE devices list.

3 Likes