Just jumped in and looking for advise

I have been using ST for a number of years am on the V3 hub and new app. I just bought the latest Hubitat hub to play with. I have over 150 devices and around 50 automations including webcore and smartlighting.

My interest in the platform are task speed, backup ability, devices supported.

What would be considered best practices and steps to consider for this move.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome, I suggest reading the how to guides.
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

3 Likes

@douglaspitman first make sure all your devices are compatible with hubitat. They don’t have to be official integrations. For example, the ring doorbell has a community integration that uses alexa as a middle man. You can easily use that integration for a smartthings cam as well. Install webcore and transfer the files using the file backup and restore. Then either transfer your devices by importance and get automations working before moving on to more devices. Try devices that can stay in both smartthings and hubitat before doing devices that can only be at one hub (zigbee and z wave). For example, I did tasmota first and my low-importance smart bulbs before transferring over high-use smart bulbs.

2 Likes

I've been on SmartThings for 5 years and Hubitat for 2 weeks. My plan is to slowly move over devices; I've a working set of automations with a high WAF, and I don't want to risk that. I also have to balance out my Zigbee mesh (I've over 70 devices there and 10 repeaters).

Something I found really useful early on: use the Hubitat Package Manager to install things if they are available there. It really makes adding custom code (and then updating it) much easier.

I plan to install HubConnect this weekend to mirror all my SmartThings devices into Hubitat.

One thing I am planning on doing longer term is learning and using Rule Machine, vs. keeping my existing Webcore pistons. I like Webcore's interface better, and the code editor is great, but RM seems a bit better supported. And there are parts of Webcore that are very esoteric and other parts that are unimplemented, and I've been bit by both before (I'm at the webcore forums too much).

2 Likes

Hey Welcome ! I did the same thing almost 2 years ago. Do get the hubconnect app, it makes the transition so much easier.
When moving devices over keep in mind the mesh nature, so try to pair your repeater devices from the hub center out. Try to position the Hubitat as central as possible within your home. Check the guides, as they're very good and too extensive to copy here.

1 Like

Thanks, This is great advice.

I was debating multiple hubs but wasn't certain if there really would be a benefit. I tried it with ST and it added zero value. It sounds like the hubs will share device information? is that only with hubconnect? and is it like a mirrored system, if one fails or hiccups for some reason the other will take over? And it sounds like there is the opportunity to offload workload to one of the other, like webcore.

@douglaspitman If your buying two hubs, don’t use them both. As long as you have some repeaters, this is useless. I don’t think one will take over the other. Instead, keep the backup hub safely. If your main hub ever breaks, you can use its backup (keep backups on a separate device, see this thread

To restore the other hub, just restores the latest file. The zigbee and z wave devices won’t pair but their is a way to re-pair the,. Any preferences should stay because to hubitat it will be like the device is coming back online

Also, the alexa skill can only cope with one hub at a time, and you will have to use an app that shares the hubs devices

This. Your easiest transition will to help you "see" ST devices on the HE, so then when you ultimately (if you do) move them over things will be more natural, and you can still start making HE rules, apps, etc. with devices connected to ST that may or may not have drivers.

Same here, ST for years (on v2 hub) and new to HE w/a C7.

1. Read this, and I suggest you wait to migrate Zwave devices until the new release is out and confirmed stable.
    C-7 Z-Wave Inclusion Issues

2. Take your time - Hu.bitat is both similar and very different than ST, and it takes a bit to get your feet and feel like it's normal. :wink: You can get the C7 setup, install some apps and configure them, and moving over some Zigbee devices initially could be the best approach while waiting for the Zwave to get sorted.

3. MIgration - think about how you want to do this. Advice is start w/powered devices that repeat first to build a strong mesh and then add battery devices. Start near the hub and work outwards. Think about how your migration will affect the stability of your ST mesh, which you're still depending on even as you build your Hubitat mesh. You may want to migrate groups of items that work together (e.g., a repeater, the water valve it supports, and the four leak sensors that are tied to them via WebCore to tell the valve to shut off if a leak is detected). If you go by room you may unintentionally break automations that you depend on.

4. Ask a lot of questions - this is a very helpful community w/lots of experienced users. If you need a driver for a device that you can't find anything for here by searching start a thread and ask if anyone would be interested in helping you.

5. Get the Hubitat Package Manager - helps you find/install many apps easily.

6. WebCore - pistons run locally on Hubitat, so you can hubMigrate your pistons to Hubitat WebCore and keep local execution. Best migration approach is to use the Backup Pistons option to export all of your ST pistons into a backup file, and then use the Import option under Create a Piston in Hubitat WebCore. Then once your devices are moved over it only takes a few clicks to update the device selections in each piston and you're up and running. You can think about moving to Rule Machine, but if you know and like WebCore this gives you time to think about why you woiuld want to move pistons over, and which might benefit.

7. Try HubConnect - it wouldn't work for me for some reason but as noted it's a great way to experience your ST devices on Hubitat before they move

8. Everything may not have to migrate - if you want to you can leave devices unsupported or w/limited support on HE on your ST hub (as long as that doesn't break automations that depend on other devices).

9. The mobile app is a disappointment to me, very limited. However, you can access the full Hubitat system on your phone by going to your hub's ip address in your mobile browser. It's an excellent option, and improved my reaction to Hubitat mobile support 100%.

10. Everything is not perfect on Hubitat. Big surprise, I know. Lots of good stuff going on, but you will run into issues. Just ask, as noted above.

Have fun!

1 Like

Looks like the fix is in for item 1.

Think I'll move the zigbee network first as suggested it is mostly moisture sensors and repeaters. I may take on my wifi devices as well since they will offer teachings in the area custom device handlers (Lenox thermostat, Haiku fan, Withings sleep sensors)

The second group of devices I think will be any that trigger or use Echo Speaks.

From there I'll tackle Z-wave devices probably GE/Jasco switches (sounds like they are easy to pair) Lifx (wfi) then repeaters.

I ordered a second C7 hub, (I'll use hubconnect with them and ST) Both should be there when I get home next week, I'm still unsure how to split the load. I like the idea of running compute intensive stuff on one and devices on the other.

I may leave my arlo camera's with ST a while, till I figure out if I want to get something better.