Just got my HE and having some issues with setting automation rules, possibly just not understanding the options

I am migrating from ST to HE and I just got all my LIFX bulbs into the system, so I figured I would build a few of my simple rules to control them

Reading through posts here I noticed that it can be helpful to supply this information:

Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version: 2.2.4.156

Hardware Version: Rev C-7

I setup mode manager to switch to "Day" at 7:00 AM (this works!)

I then took my front and back porch LIFX lights and put them into a group called "Outside group" (there are two bulbs in this group an nothing else)

Then built a rule using "motion and mode lighting apps" to turn off those lights when mode changes to day

Structure of the rule is as follows:

Name : Getting bright
Lights to turn on or off:
   Set these dimmers per mode: [nothing]
   Set color Temperature per mode for these bulbs: [nothing]
   Set color per mode for these bulbs: [nothing]
   Push button per mode: [nothing]
   Turn on switches per mode: [nothing]
   turn off switches per mode: Outside group
   > Select modes: Day
Options for lights on: [nothing set in this category]
Options for lights off: [nothing set for this category] 

I can turn off both lights when I click the group in my dashboard, but the automation is not turning the lights off when the mode changes to day.

Am I misunderstanding what the settings I have chosen are used for?

Mode lighting won't turn things off.
Use simple automation app

Thanks for the pointer! ill take a look at simple lighting

As @mark.cockcroft says, mode settings in the Motion and Mode Lighthing can change dim levels and other parameters, but can't turn things on/off w/Mode settings. I know it seems odd, but that's how it works.

Simple automation did not work either

Its event base system, did it not work when change, ie chang mode to day then back to evening

Maybe relevant?

correct, it did not work when the system changed from day to evening

Edit: update, the outside lights did turn off this morning, So I am now guessing that nesting groups is the issue with the above screenshot rule, an anyone confirm that nesting groups does not work well?

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but the rule i posted a screenshot of has nested groups, is that an issue?

Example, the "living room group" is mage up of two groups "living room fan group" and "Living room lamps group

"

1 Like