Jumping ship from SmartThings question

I recently faced a difficult situation with SmartThings. My router failed, so the internet went down. They were able to install a new one the next day, but that night my house was left without an alarm system because I could not open the app since it’s a cloud based system. When I posted in the ST forums, I was told I need to get a stand-alone alarm system because ST is dependent on an internet connection and therefore a poor alarm system. That stung a bit since I have Zigbee sensors on all my doors and windows and haven’t seen a stand-alone security system that can utilize them.
Would Hubitat be better for me? My system consists of many Lutron switches, Zigbee and Z-wave door and motion sensors, some Xiaomi sensors, Chamberlain MyQ, First Alert CO/smoke detectors, Samsung water leak detectors, Peanut plugs, Utilitech sirens. I will soon install Sylvania Lightify recessed bulbs and GE z-wave and zigbee switches.

Do you see any compatibility issues with Hubitat and my setup? I would say I am an advanced user but I don’t have a massive amount of time to tinker.

1 Like

Definitely.

You'll need the Lutron Caseta Pro Bridge to use Lutron Caseta dimmers/switches with Hubitat.

We'll need to know more the zigbee/z-wave sensors. But in general they will work. In contrast, Xiaomi sensors are not a good idea. I have about 35 of these - but I have them on a separate Hubitat that has Xiaomi compatible zigbee repeaters. In other words, getting them to work requires putting them on a separate Hubitat where all the repeaters are Xiaomi compatible.

Don't know about the sirens, but you should be able to get the rest of those to work. Be aware that Peanut plugs don't work as repeaters for Xiaomi devices - so they would have to be on a separate zigbee network from the Xiaomi devices.

Your switches will be fine. Do not install Lightify anything. Those bulbs make terrible zigbee repeaters and can mess a zigbee network up. It is best to use bulbs that don't work as zigbee repeaters - like Sengled bulbs.

2 Likes

I think being an advanced user would be very helpful. I also think you will need time to tinker.

I love Hubitat, but you do need time.

2 Likes

Unless they are on there own hub. Also this only applies to the old lamps ( ZigBee LL) the new models at ZigBee 3.0 so shouldn't be a issue.

4 Likes

That answer is almost always yes.. Once you go local you will never want a cloud HA system again..

When my internet provider is having issues .. All my automations still work.. And none of those pesky cloud outages either..

3 Likes

Need more detail about which sensors you have to makje a determination.
Also look into hub connect, it will allow you to gradually switch over. I still keep my ST hub on , for certain devices and for the ST app.

When/If you decide to make the switch you need to build your mesh from the hub out.

Check these docs:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

1 Like

The sensors are Zigbee Iris motion and door/window sensors primarily with a few Monoprice z-wave sensors.

Check. Same for ST integration.

Good info. I wish I knew this before I spent many many hours messing with these sensors. Only a handful remained connected to the network for more than a week.

Thanks. A gradual switch sounds like a good plan. Seems like a bit more planning needs to be done before I buy the hub though.

1 Like

Just one difference. My recollection is that to integrate with Lutron, SmartThings can use either the Caseta Smart Bridge or the Caseta Smart Bridge Pro. Hubitat can only use the Smart Bridge Pro.

At least when ST first started Lutron integration the Pro hub was required. That might have changed since.