Jasco may be making firmware available for their products

He is another hair on fire/outrage video guy (aka a-hole) I won't watch anymore, so I don't know his use case.

But I applaud his efforts to get vendors to better support end customers. As someone that owns ~200 GE/Jasco devices, I would love more options such as firmware updates, even though I don't have a burning need for them.

1 Like

Not me... Big believer in the KISS principal lol

1 Like

We're working on a product registration process that will make it easier to access the firmware. Our main goal is to have everyone be aware of the possible risks of applying the wrong firmware to a device. We have so many models and versions it's easier than you think to get confused.

That's definitely one of our top priorities now. While we like getting questions and feedback, our support team is looking forward to this change as well :wink:

Oh and we got so many emails about the Linus video from you guys recommending to reach out to them so we did, hopefully something good will come out of it :slight_smile: Thanks for bringing issues like that to our attention, it helps so much to understand what's really important to our audience! :heart_hands:

14 Likes

Understandable on the warning/applicability messaging. Good point.

I would love to see a registered product portal with access to the firmware for the device. I think that is a minor inconvenience for the benefit it would provide. I'll keep my eyes open for that in the future.

Thanks!!

9 Likes

Zooz is my other favorite. Although it has caused some hair loss, offering the ability to change the ramp rate has been a key feature for me. GE/Jasco are favored because of the integrated motion sensor which operates independently and/or with Hubitat. Combining these two devices through HE, I have some instances where the Jasco detects motion and then triggers the Zooz to slowly raise the light level as part of a routine with other actions as well.

2 Likes

I think Zooz kind of has it right though for now. Ultimately I would love it if all the major players just had a app to do the load.

I think what would really benifit zooz is a app on Hubitat that would allow a user to specify the device to update and then it would go out and check a URL to download the latest update directly from them. Maybe they could even have a option to enable beta vs stable release firmware.

The situation with Jasco is just nuts. Their firmware will have noticeable bugs and still be on released devices. That shouldn't be something we can be held hostage over, I am also wondering what hub can provide update to jasco devices. He never mentioned what hub to use to actually do the update.

1 Like

There could be a notifier app for this but to integrate a z-wave update wouldn't be able to be done by anyone but HE. The notifier app could notify that there is an update available and here it is. (This would have to be written by @agnes.zooz 's team and then hosted somewhere to work) But you would have to manually download it then use the z-wave updater to push it.

That said it's ridiculous for any manufacturer to not release their firmware to the public. It would be easy enough to tell who bricked their stuff out of idiocy..

2 Likes

The fear of bricking a device may not be the only reason some manufacturers choose not to make their firmware public. For a while it was commonly known that really good firmware developed by a popular zwave manufacturer could be loaded on cheap zwave devices sold by someone else (Monoprice).

While this is no longer true, because the real value of the product rested in the quality of firmware, I can understand why that manufacturer required certain criteria to be met before releasing firmware updates to specific end users.

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :crazy_face:

:rofl: :joy: :crazy_face:
I have had an excellent customer experience with Zooz. @agnes.zooz has been more helpful than any company rep I can recall dealing with outside of Hubitat staff (which have also been excellent).

2 Likes

I was under the impression that none do until he mentioned this. I have heard multiple accounts of people contacting Jasco, and basically being told that they never update firmware, no matter what. It seems if you could update through say a Smartthings hub, Jasco would have said that only those hubs can do the update.

overview for mccoolio on Reddit used to work for Jasco and has some pertinent comments.

Maybe there is another path through some official integrator, but it seems doubtful. It seems like Jasco would have been more forthright about this instead of that nonsense answer "maybe someone, somewhere, can possibly update for you if an update is available on some integrators super secret hub".. That sounds to me like they are trying to pawn you off onto some poor installer/integrator who will get blamed for the lack of firmware updates.

3 Likes

Hmmm... You'd figure they'd be able to build in some kind of check to see if it was theirs or not and halt if not...

The hardware was identical.

3 Likes

This has been exactly my experience as well. Every communication has been great with them.

This would be awesome.

5 Likes

Oh my joke was not disparaging of their customer support at all. In fact, I dare say their support has far and beyond been the best of any smart device manufacturer I've dealt with.

5 Likes

Jasco seems to be moving in the right direction... HA is mentioned, but other players in the hub market are not. Hopefully they don't come up with an HA-only solution and leave the rest of us out in the cold.

jasco

4 Likes

I keep trying to watch that video, but those guys just sound like idiots to me...they may have valid issues, but their delivery is SO painful that my head feels like it's going to explode.

6 Likes

Oh... If they do anything (which isn't guaranteed), I'm sure they'll find some way to screw it up.

I mean they don't want to do it in the first place, they were shamed into it, so I have low expectations that they will do it in a way that makes sense.

7 Likes

It’s also easy to say that when you’re not the one that will be fielding the angry calls or emails from users. Customer service reps don’t usually get to just inform people that they are idiots and move on with their day, even when it’s true :wink:.

5 Likes

Ah, but they can dream, can't they!? :wink:

1 Like

Touche

1 Like