Jasco has Honeywell Zwave+ Outlets on sale $30 each

Yeah, me too. But I thought, Sale! Why not try them!? Lol

S

1 Like

These stupid devices are simply a cruel joke...
Do not purchase them, aside from the fact they do not work properly with a primary controller, they are stupid money for what they are...

3 Likes

@mike.maxwell

Don't feel like you have to hold back :grin:

4 Likes

Dang the out door plugs are out of stock. -- I should have jumped sooner...

Awesome, I was looking for the GE ones on prime day but they were $40 and out of stock. This is a much better deal! I need to pick up three so this works out nicely.

I've heard people say this, but does anyone know the actual code? I know 406.3 says it has to be marked as "Controlled" and a multi-receptacle must indicate WHICH receptacle is controlled. Not ZWave, but Leviton makes some that clearly say both are controlled https://www.leviton.com/en/products/all-products/electrical-wiring-devices/outletsreceptacles/marked-controlled#t=Products&sort=%40partnumber%20ascending&layout=card and they're not a fly-by-night so I'm sure it follows code. I also know that you're absolutely allowed to have outlets controlled by a light switch. Not doubting you, I've heard this said multiple times (think I've said it myself) but I've never seen anyone actually reference code on it.

Now you're making me do research. I'll see if I can find it in a version of the NEC I dont have to buy! :slight_smile:

So far, I haven't found anything explicitly banning dual controlled outlets, but in the CEC, I found the following, which may have an effect:

California Energy Commission (CEC)
Title 24, Part 6
Section 130.5(d) of the 2016 Building Efficiency
Standards of the California Energy Commission
Title 24, Part 6 requires at least one 15� or
20�ampere 120V AC controlled receptacle, or
a split wired receptacle with at least one
controlled and one uncontrolled receptacle, to
be installed within 6 feet of each uncontrolled
receptacle.

So, if only one outlet is controlled, you always meet CEC code in a NEC code built house.

I haven't managed to find anything beyond a marking requirement in the NEC yet.

S.

2 Likes

I haven't looked in a while, but pretty sure it is in there. As I remember, like most things in NEC it isn't listed in regular terms. It is buried in a clause about being able to confirm power source and isolation of hard wired devices to prevent harm when performing maintenance. Oh, and the rules are different for residential than commercial on this (which isn't that uncommon).

If I remember correctly even in residential it is still allowed IF the secondary control is visible/controllable by the electrician so they can control operation of said secondary switch. That's why you can still have outlets controlled by wall switches in some cases.

But I am not currently a licensed electrician. Always consult local code in addition to NEC as well, as local jurisdictions tend to add a lot of fun extras that are not in NEC.

3 Likes

I think you're right, but you are allowed to tie an outlet to a switch would have the same issue, and obviously a GFCI/AFCI is allowed to turn off both receptacles so... I suspect you're right, I just know there are many "code myths" out there too so it'd be nice to see it.

Definitely agree there! I have the current NEC in my standards folder on my computer at work. If I get time I'll try to search it and see if I can find it. I do prefer to cite actual sections when possible for the dispelling myth reasons, too.

1 Like

Exactly...that's how the Loch Ness Outlet stories started... :wink:

1 Like

Is that saying what it appears?

That for every "normal" outlet (meaning, powered all the time) you need to have a "switched" outlet within 6 feet? That seems absurd.

It's also California--so that's not entirely unexpected.

But. But. But. If you do that, how can you play dumb when questioned? :smiley:

1 Like

Plausible deniability does work in many situations. lol

1 Like

When I read it the first time I interpreted to mean that no more than one outlet in any 6' section of wall could be fully controlled. In other words if you had a fully controlled outlet at point A, the outlet 6' to the right and the outlet 6' to the left MUST have at least uncontrolled (always hot) outlet.

But I could be incorrect.

S