Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

I think the "bunch" number is actually 8, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

To exclude the Z-Wave repeater portion of the 3210-L, I have found the following procedure to work the best.

• bring the 3210|-L into the same room as the Hubitat hub and plug it in (do not factory reset it!)
  • bring up the device details page for this 3210-L’s Z-wave repeater device
  • click Remove Device to start the Z-wave exclusion process
  • press the 3210-L’s button 8 times very, very quickly (the outlet’s internal relay should not be clicking on and off during this process, except maybe at the very end of the 8 presses.)

If you’ve done it properly, Hubitat should report the successful removal of the Z-Wave repeater device. If not, do NOT force remove the Z-wave repeater. Start the process again until until you get it removed.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

OK.
I now have a new one to report: (I couldn't make this up!)
My Iris 3210-L repeater is called Upstairs Office Outlet.
I pressed it 8 times quickly, while the Hub was in exclude mode, and I got the following:

Yes, It excluded the wrong device!!!!

Even more astounding.
It's not in my Hubitat zwave list anymore (Main Hall Lights), but it's still in the list as far as the zwave controller program is considered. Wow! I never expected this to happen.
Maybe my zwave network is really "borked".

That page is not the device specific page. Therefore, it appears you used the General Exclusion feature, instead of the device specific exclusion.

Yes, I used the general device exclusion page.

But I had nothing to do with main hall lights...

One more thing regarding these outlets... there are two different firmware versions for the 3210-L outlets. The early firmware was known to have issues with the Z-wave repeater side of things. I believe those issues were resolved in the new firmware for these devices, but I am not 100% certain.

Unfortunately, there is no longer any way to update the firmware on these devices that I know of. One way to determine the firmware version is to pair the device with a SmartThings hub and then look at the device details in the ST Web IDE. ST can update the firmware on Iris v2 Motion and Contact sensors, but not these outlets.

1 Like

If you accidentally named the Z-wave repeater side of the device incorrectly, that might explain how the ‘wrong’ device was excluded.

I find this highly unusual - trying to exclude one device, but actually excluding another!
This has never happened to me before.

I believe that this points out a serious issue with my mesh....
I will try and exclude all "problem" devices, and physically remove them...
(If that doesn't work from Hubitat, then I'll do it via PC Controller)

I know of no other way to"get back on the right track.

What device is the "Main Hall Lights". The only way to exclude the wrong one, is if the excluded device was in exclusion mode. Any chance that someone in your house turned the light on (or off) at the very moment you put the hub in exclusion mode? It has happened to me many times when trying to exclude a specific device and one of my kids turned a light on and I ended up excluding the wrong device.

1 Like

Nope.
I'm the only one up at this hour.
The device "Main Hall Lights", is a zooz zen26 switch, which was off at the time.

P.S. I have a spreadhseet from earlier this week, so I know when it says "Main Hall Lights excluded and removed", it means node 16. It's strange that it's excluded from the Hubitat list, but it's still there when I get a new list from PC Controller.

I'd like to point out, that I'm assuming that this is a "my" issue, and not a Hubitat issue because I've never seen anyone complain about this. I'm assuming that this happened because of something strange going on in my mesh, not because Hubitat has an issue. (But if anyone else reports some strange zwave mesh stuff going on, then ....)

Question: When I do exclusion from the device specific page instead of the general devices exclusion page, would that have made a difference? Or, is it just that the hub goes into exclusion mode and what ever signal it gets it acts upon?

Excluding a device it's a "handshake" between the hub and the device. You cannot exclude a device without both agreeing to do it. So this is unlikely indicative of a mesh problem but rather a device problem.

No, doesn't make a difference where you trigger the hub exclusion.

1 Like

Thanks.

I have now physically replaced both of those devices.
Now, I do not have any Iris 3210-L devices in my mesh, and that other device that was inadvertently excluded (Main Hall Lights). (Fortunately, I happen to have lots of spares.)

Since I replaced 2 zwave devices, I'm now doing a zwave repair.
I hope that this will correct any issues I've been having.

5 Likes

FWIW if you suspect those devices you didn't need to do a repair. Simply removing them will confirm or not the problem. Z-Wave will instantly reroute. There's little need to do a repair and wait.

When you do a repair (or Hubitat does the nightly repair) it will optimize your routes to new paths. While good overall, it's not really part of the debugging on whether the removed relay was the problem IMHO. I've been very successful isolating without doing repairs.

...just need to know that when a repair is done later it might change the routes, which may or may not route you via another problematic device. So if it works after your change and then you run a repair and it doesn't work, compare the routing table and you'll find another problematic relay.

(another reason to not run an immediate repair: you'll lose the chance to see how it routes through a path that a repair might not choose)

"Z-Wave Firmware Updater", and "Basic Z-Wave Tool" will both give the current firmware version (with BZWT, click "Get Version Report", and check the logs).

Does anyone know what version works? The one of mine I checked is 1.2.

1 Like

???

What nightly repair? AFAIK, the overnight maintenance/backup process does not include a z-wave repair. Stranded and ghost devices are supposed to be removed, but weren't for my Hubitat.

3 Likes

The only firmware versions that I know of are for the Zigbee side of the outlet...

And another post on the subject...

shrug the code is closed source so I don't know... but I have repeatedly seen path changes between 1:50am and 3am so something is happening. Various release notes suggest the same. You'd likely have to get a real answer from @mike.maxwell

FYI for anyone having issues with the 3210-L's as Z-Wave Repeaters, they seem to be heavily, and I mean HEAVILY reliant on beaming.

I previously had a plug that I was not using for anything but repeating that was close to the hub and this was at a time when my mesh was reliable, but then I found a use for the plug and proceeded to move the it, not far away, but effectively flipped it 180 degrees, so instead of pointing into the room, it was pointed at the wall. So, with my current issues, I rerouted some wires so that I could face the plug into to room again, and voila, device by device they began to magically start responding.

With that in mind, I moved one of my other plugs further into the house and now the plugs that are the furthest are connecting well now.

Long story short, and knock on wood, my mesh seems to be behaving a lot more reliably now. But I had one question, is it common for Z-Wave devices or ZigBee devices to be heavily reliant on beaming?

@ogiewon I think you are correct on the old vs new firmware. I updated all 8 of my 3210-Ls just before they shut Iris down. I don't experience any issues with my z-wave mesh and they are the basis for my mesh. I only have a couple of light switches but have many door window sensors and a lock.

2 Likes

What sort of troubles and how was it diagnosed?

I installed 5 of these after ditching Cree and GE Link bulbs to help stabilize my mesh and also have the z-wave repeaters included and don't believe they are causing any issues.

I'm confused how using the zigbee portion of the plug causes z-wave issues?

1 Like