Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

I hope you find the key to the puzzle. I struggled for a few days myself until I found my method. I only made progress after letting them sit overnight as well. The key for me was moving the outlets close to the hub (as in inches) and also completely removing them from power before attempting to pair the zwave portion. I actually had them connected to a power strip so I could flip the strip's power switch rather than having to physically remove the outlet from the socket.

1 Like

Well even though I did a force delete, and several plug resets...it dawned on me that I haven't tried a general exclusion.

Just tried it, immediately got:

Then after 4-5 tries to include, Hubitat found it again. So apparently it hadn't been removed from the stick. But...just like last time...

I just changed the driver from "Device" to "Generic Z-Wave Repeater" and saved/refreshed. Device now shows active, but again, no fingerprint.

Just kicked off a z-wave repair, going to keep an eye on the logs to make sure node 159 does something. Does Hubitat need to know it's fingerprint in order for the device to do it's job as a repeater?

Here's a comparison between one the included as a repeater and this one that included as "Device". Upper one paired correctly, lower one is this outlet that has been pairing as Device.

**edit...repaired ok. Unsure if lack of fingerprint will cause any problems. At this point I'm thinking it will be ok...???

Looks like it's talking to the hub. I see you get both last sent and last received.

1 Like

The Fingerprint is used to identify the correct driver at Join time. After that it's never used again... so yes, it will be ok without one, assuming you're able to cope with manually setting the driver. :smiley:

1 Like

I'm curious if the open source version of Iris that they are talking about releasing, Arcus, will have the ability to update the firmware of devices.

https://www.irisbylowes.com/support?guideTitle=Iris-intends-to-release-Open-Source-Smart-Home-software-as-“Arcus”&guideId=b5a9c492-3036-47be-a0d4-c9c4114c7158

Iris is intending to open source portions of its smart home software pending a third-party security review of the code and will name it Arcus. “Arcus” is the Roman name for the Greek goddess “Iris.” Iris wants the smart home enthusiast and developer communities to be able to benefit from the hard work and development of its platform software. The software will be part of the public domain and available for the community pending the third-party review of the code. More details will be available over the coming weeks.

I still have a number of Iris plugs that are only connected via Zigbee. Whenever I had the Z-wave side of the plug connected as a repeater, other devices on the network would stop reporting in. Reading through the thread, I'm guessing that perhaps my plugs are on an old firmware, so I'd need to update the firmware to use them in my network but with the service being shutdown it doesn't look like that's feasible.

I find this part interesting

I wonder what “portions” they are going to release.

Have you tried using srwhite’s driver for the Iris plug?

1 Like

If you can find someone with an Iris Hub, you can probably still get the firmware updated before the end of March. Someone local to you would be best. However, there are a few of us with Iris hubs that we bought on clearance just for updating these devices. If you'd like some help, just reach out and we can work something out.

It might also be possible to have SmartThings update the firmware on these devices. I am not sure if ST updates the 3210-L outlet firmware or not. I believe they are updating some of the Iris devices though. Might be worth a try.

So far just the mobile app has been released. There's no reason to doubt that they'll include the ability to upgrade firmware in the code that is released. I think the bigger unknown is whether they'll release the device firmware images.

One more thing to keep in mind, 99% of Iris HA-compatible devices were made by Centralite who has recently flamed out in Chapter 7. It's probably a safe assumption that these devices are now end of life and will not see any further updates. The remaining 1% are the newer v3 devices made by iMagic, but those only came on the market in October.

Bottom line is that it's only speculation right now... We won't know until the code is finally and completely released.

1 Like

I haven't, but I will give it a shot. Most the threads that came up in my searches seemed to indicate that it was a fundamental firmware thing, so I didn't even think to look for a driver.

Looking through the driver, it looks like it's setting a Lifeline configuration in the configure command and doing a periodic healthcheck. I'm not sure how either of these would help, but then again I'm also not sure why it's not working in the first place, so I suppose it doesn't hurt to give it a try! :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you live in the Dallas area, Dan? :rofl:

Nope. But if you pay for all of the shipping, I'm willing to try updating them for you.

Or, perhaps another Iris Hub owner is in the Dallas area and can lend a hand?

1 Like

I actually have a hub, but purchased it too late as Iris wouldn’t allow me to create a new account, Any chance I could get someone’s cleansed account to register this hub and my 4 plugs and 3 motion sensors ?

I am looking to grab a couple of these Iris Smart Plugs as repeaters. Do both of these models work as Zigbee repeaters?
If I understand this thread, is seems the lack of firmware updates may make this a bad option for me to use on HE?

Top item, purple box is Zigbee and is a repeater. Bottom item is Wi-Fi only, no repeater.

2 Likes

And the bottom one becomes a brick in just over 3 weeks when Iris shuts down. Do not buy that one!

2 Likes

@dcoffing where are you finding the first one at a good price?

Another option, you can always pick up a Securifi Peanut plug, they are $15 on Amazon.

1 Like

It is not that good. It is on eBay running anywhere from $40 down to $24

Ouch. I do like these plugs, but think there are better options for sure.

With Lowe's pulling stock, there's been a run on these although prices appear to be settling down. I found a seller asking $25 with free shipping. That's below Lowe's last retail price at least.

Thanks, I ended up ordering a couple of these. I am trying to get my zigbee fan controllers to stay online reliably

@ogiewon Dan a couple of questions, if you don't mind. What is the difference between 3210-L and 3210-L2 are they both Zigbee and Zwave repeaters? I am thinking of picking up 3210-L on eBay

Also is there anyway to update firmware on them? now that IRIS has open sourced everything I wonder if @mike.maxwell has plans for firmware updates for IRIS devices?

thanks
A