Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

All of mine, old and new, displayed the latest fw so my guess is that they just update right away. Have you tried to add any back to your zwave mesh after the update?
I had a hell of a time.

1 Like

I only tried one. Got it to pair right away (10 fast button pushes), but it sat on Initializing Device for awhile, then when finished it loaded with driver "Device" instead of Generic Z-Wave Repeater. I excluded it successfully using the same 10 button pushes, then had to go run an errand so haven't had a chance to try again yet. Just got home, did a hub reboot (seemed to help with pairing issues in the past), going to try again in a few minutes.

I got 5 of the 7 paired successfully. Took a couple of hub reboots to get it done.

The 6th plug discovered twice but hung on Initializing both times.

The 7th plug keeps joining as "Device" with no fingerprint. I started a separate thread on this one.

I'm giving up for tonight, running a Z-Wave repair now. Might try the last 2 again tomorrow.

I was having a hell of a time pairing the Z-wave side as well until I bring them closer to the hub. It seems like they don't like any hop when pairing.

I've been moving the plugs to an outlet about 4' from the hub when pairing.

Last night I paired the last 2 with Iris again for a few minutes to see if maybe it would do any kind of update for corrupted firmware or something like that, then reset and put the zigbee side back on Hubitat.

This morning the 6th plug z-wave side included to HE immediately. This is the one that hung on Initializing twice yesterday.

Still working on the 7th. I did another plug reset, rebooted hub, re-paired the zigbee side fine. Z-Wave side still isn't being found. Will keep trying. I'm wondering if there is some issue with the force removing causing it to not be found.

I don't know much about Z-wave but reading this forum and how people usually get their devices successfully paired the next day. I am convinced there's some nightly background work by the hub. Here's something I wrote about zigbee.

1 Like

Have you tried this yet? I had a hell of a time myself and this got my last 3 back up and running.

I did yesterday. Haven't tried this exact sequence yet today but will give it a shot.

I'm having a similar issue as you with a couple of my Iris smart plugs. I have 10 of the plugs in total, and there are two that I cannot get working correctly when it comes to the z-wave repeater. I'm seeing the same issue as you, where the device is discovered as "Device" instead of as a z-wave repeater. I've tried a couple of different times, and I even tried running an extension cord and having the plug within inches of the hub when pairing. Nothing seems to be working. The other eight didn't have this issue at all, and are working fine as far as I can tell. The zigbee side of things is working perfecting for all 10 plugs.

1 Like

I had the same experience (had to have the plug very close to the hub) when installing some fire sale plugs a couple of months ago; I swear that prior to that I was able to easily do the Z-Wave inclusion in place. Recently a community member posted that he observed what appeared t be network wide inclusion not working in the 2.02 fw level but appeared to be working in 2.04 (which lists Z-Wave inclusion improvements in the release notes).

This thread got me looking at my plugs Z-Wave repeater device details; I notice a field saying fw 1.2. Don't recall seeing this before though its possible it has always been there; I assume it is a Z-Wave firmware level. Is anyone seeing any other number in this field? All my plugs show 1.2 except the one plug (a very early model) that I have never been able to successfully include.

I also noticed the firmware version listed on the plug details page recently. I wasn’t sure if it was new, or if I just never noticed before. So far, I’ve only seen 1.2 listed.

For me, when I added 2 to my network, after many failed attempts, I performed a ZWave repair and then they paired up right away and they were about 12 feet away

I had the same issue with a couple ZWave GE switches (non Plus), after excluding them from ST.

Good luck all

Rick

I just got back from a Lowes ~30 miles away. I picked up their last 4 Iris 3326-L motion sensors on clearance for $15 ea. I am going to miss these little guys. They are so small and responsive and 'just work'. All were already up to date on their firmware when I hooked them up to the Iris hub.

3 Likes

I tried a couple times today, no change. Tried 1 or 2 hub reboots, then went ahead and updated from 2.0.4.116 to 2.0.4.118 just to see if that would do anything, reset the last plug a couple times, and tried your method each time. No luck today. Will try again tomorrow, maybe there's something to this overnight thing. Normally I wouldn't worry about these repeaters since I have a ton of Z-Wave mains powered devices, but now I'm thinking that I'm going to end up replacing most of them with Lutron devices since they are older GE non-Plus. Trying to get the repeaters going to keep a decent mesh active as I start removing switches and dimmers.

I hope you find the key to the puzzle. I struggled for a few days myself until I found my method. I only made progress after letting them sit overnight as well. The key for me was moving the outlets close to the hub (as in inches) and also completely removing them from power before attempting to pair the zwave portion. I actually had them connected to a power strip so I could flip the strip's power switch rather than having to physically remove the outlet from the socket.

1 Like

Well even though I did a force delete, and several plug resets...it dawned on me that I haven't tried a general exclusion.

Just tried it, immediately got:

Then after 4-5 tries to include, Hubitat found it again. So apparently it hadn't been removed from the stick. But...just like last time...

I just changed the driver from "Device" to "Generic Z-Wave Repeater" and saved/refreshed. Device now shows active, but again, no fingerprint.

Just kicked off a z-wave repair, going to keep an eye on the logs to make sure node 159 does something. Does Hubitat need to know it's fingerprint in order for the device to do it's job as a repeater?

Here's a comparison between one the included as a repeater and this one that included as "Device". Upper one paired correctly, lower one is this outlet that has been pairing as Device.

**edit...repaired ok. Unsure if lack of fingerprint will cause any problems. At this point I'm thinking it will be ok...???

Looks like it's talking to the hub. I see you get both last sent and last received.

1 Like

The Fingerprint is used to identify the correct driver at Join time. After that it's never used again... so yes, it will be ok without one, assuming you're able to cope with manually setting the driver. :smiley:

1 Like

I'm curious if the open source version of Iris that they are talking about releasing, Arcus, will have the ability to update the firmware of devices.

https://www.irisbylowes.com/support?guideTitle=Iris-intends-to-release-Open-Source-Smart-Home-software-as-“Arcus”&guideId=b5a9c492-3036-47be-a0d4-c9c4114c7158

Iris is intending to open source portions of its smart home software pending a third-party security review of the code and will name it Arcus. “Arcus” is the Roman name for the Greek goddess “Iris.” Iris wants the smart home enthusiast and developer communities to be able to benefit from the hard work and development of its platform software. The software will be part of the public domain and available for the community pending the third-party review of the code. More details will be available over the coming weeks.

I still have a number of Iris plugs that are only connected via Zigbee. Whenever I had the Z-wave side of the plug connected as a repeater, other devices on the network would stop reporting in. Reading through the thread, I'm guessing that perhaps my plugs are on an old firmware, so I'd need to update the firmware to use them in my network but with the service being shutdown it doesn't look like that's feasible.

I find this part interesting

I wonder what “portions” they are going to release.

Have you tried using srwhite’s driver for the Iris plug?

1 Like