Issues with Dome Valve

Took your advice and have a new hub in hand.

Hoping to avoid any issues going forward, what would the recommended process be to set it up? I would prefer not to re-pair all the zigbee devices, but I can, recreating all the apps would be a nightmare. Support suggested they would advise against a cloud migration.

Would a backup potentially carry over the same issues? Any best practices here?

Once I get the hub set-up minus zwave, would you recommend starting with the dome valve and add repeaters if that doesn't work well? Or start from the beginning with the two (still returnable) repeaters?

Thanks!

I can't speculate whether it would work. I suspect support thinks the radio issue would migrate over, whereas backups don't bring radio information over. Myself, I would try the backup method, it typically is a pretty safe option.

I would follow this guide first thing after migrating. Migrating a Z-Wave Network This will ensure you don't lose your devices or mess up and have the wrong device tied to the wrong automation/dashboard. The DNI is critical to change (make unique) on the Z-wave side of things when trying to use the backup method to change hubs.

From there, I think you need to do what this says. These are best practices. How to Build a Solid Z-Wave Mesh | Hubitat Documentation The last section Tips for designing your Z-Wave mesh are especially pertinent.

• When installing several devices, install Z-Wave mains powered repeaters first, beginning closest to the hub and working outward so other devices will be able to use them to reach the hub. Once the Z-Wave routers are installed, add your battery powered Z-Wave end devices.

That's been pretty much my impression. The question re building a z wave network is if we've determined something was off in the initial range, should I start with the basis of let's try it with the minimum devices required? I do have the repeaters, but ai can also return the repeaters and would rather both have the money and not have extra otherwise useless devices plugged in if they're not necessary.

I guess you could try the one device, but the chances of a device consistently working with only one device is pretty marginal from what I have seen on this forum, and through my own experience with Z-wave.

Myself, I would at least add one repeater in the proximity of the hub and the valve. It doesn't have to be exactly in-between. That is just my opinion, and not what will (or will not) work good in the real world. My observation is that it takes a few devices that repeat (not necessarily a dedicated repeater) to form a solid and stable mesh.

2 Likes

Got a new hub all set up. Initially it seemed like everything was fine, valve paired almost immediately, as did one repeater. Gave it a week and tried throwing the other repeater on just for giggles and that seemed to work fine as well. Topography was showing all the devices connected to each other, and the route being direct from the hub.

This morning woke up and wasn't able to control the valve. Tried refreshing and none of the two repeaters nor hub are seeming reached. A repair completes immediately with no effect. Only obvious change besides it not working is that the valve's route is now through the closest repeater.

I like my Zooz Titan valve.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it's the valve in this instance is that refreshing the repeaters leaves them on "pending" as well.