Issues Pairing & Programming a Lock

New Hubitat User. I'll start with noting Hubitat is far more challenging than I expected it to be. I have no idea where I went wrong trying to add a lock.

1. First issue is finding correct device to add - no idea if this is where I made my first mistake
    Go to Hubitat to add device, but my Kwikset 916 Zwave lock is not listed. It lists a Kwikset Smartcode lock, but says it connects via Zigbee. So I select the only Z-Wave lock on the Kwikset list, labeled as Kwikset 910, 912, 914. No idea if that is the correct solution, but the lock pairs, although it reports itself as a Schlage FE599/BE369 Lock, which it definitely is not.
    The Kwikset Smartcode 916 Zwave lock is a mainstream product that has been around for several years, and giving people challenges for several years based on the comments in this forum. I cannot understand why it is not on the devices list...

2. Second issue is how to add codes
    Once the device is added, I can click on it and get all sorts of boxes, one of which is labeled "Set Code." After several attempts it is clear that just does not work. I know the Hubitat is connected to the lock because in this screen I can click lock and unlock and the lock responds accordingly. So I google around and find out I have to go to the Hubitat Apps and open Lock Code Manager. It is thankfully already installed, maybe as part of a "Get started" tutorial. So I figure I need to add codes from this app other app and not the device. No idea if that is correct. I'd also really like to know what the purpose is of all the boxes and options in the device screen, and if you can enter any data in them.

3. Third issue is trying to actually add the codes in Lock Code Manager
    This wants to add the codes by user, so I add a user, add a code, select my lock and click Done. I go to the door to try it - no go. After 30 minutes or so of messing around with this I google to find out that in this particular app, clicking Done actually means cancel, and to add the user and their code you have to click in a blank spot under the fields you filled in - once I do that I am presented with the ability to actually add the users and their codes, and it actually works. I test the locks, and the codes now also actually work.

4. Fourth issue is what Hubitat is reporting about the locks
    If I go into the Lock Code Manager, it does list the two users I entered under "Existing Users" but has their name, then "[ jobs - failed:1]. No idea what this means. I've clicked "Retry Failed Jobs" "Refresh Jobs Status" and for good measure, clicked in the blank spot of this screen, but nothing seems to get rid of that word "failed." Failed indicates to me something went wrong. But what went wrong? The codes work in the lock. What, if anything, do I do to resolve this? Or did I mess up so badly in one of the above steps that this is hopeless?

3 Likes

The best driver for Kwikset Zwave locks is usually the Generic Zwave Lock. (The device fingerprint is close to the Schlage so it defaults to that driver instead.) Correcting that may solve your other issues (or at least change them).

2 Likes

@calinatl Did you have any failed pairings? If so, before you go any further, look at your z-wave details page for ghosts (they won't have anything in the routes) and remove them before proceeding.

as @thebearmay use generic z-wave lock driver, save, then click configure

Post a shot of your device screen, will be easier to identify the fields.

On issue 3, what browser are you using (done means done, not cancel, done all the way out then perhaps save after if presented)

Issue 4: Failed will mean a failed command. This can be due to distance, (always recommend having a beaming repeater near locks). Open up a live log while you're testing the lock(S) and see that the commands are being sent to the lock and the lock is receiving them properly.

Also I'd add that z-wave and locks are a tricky problem across platforms (Wink, ST, Hubitat, etc.).
Make sure you have very strong z-wave extenders between your locks and your hub.

I originally had some major issues, and extenders and them settling in for a few days has put me in a rock solid state for a few years now.

Do you mean the "clusters" column when you say routes?
e.g.

Well, yes in your case you have a c5 so no in/out clusters means ghost..... C7 presents differently.

Ah, thank you. Did not know that. I've had a C7 sitting here for a while, but with my C5 so reliable I just haven't had the time to do a migration. That will be helpful. Thank you.

You can see here on the C7 it's different

And we also have a graph

3 Likes
  1. Failed pairings:
    I went to left menu and selected Settings. Once there, scrolled to Systems Settings, and selected Zwave Details. That brings up a list labeled "Zwave Radio Devices." None of the devices are blank in the Routes cell. I thus conclude I have no "failed pairings" at least of the type you are asking about.

2. Generic Z wave lock
    I went to left menu and selected Devices. Then I selected the lock. Once in the lock page, I scrolled down to the Device Information section and in the "Type" changed the dropdown selection from Schlage FE599/BE369 Lock to Generic Zwave Lock, then I scrolled down and clicked "Save Device". Now in Apps, Lock code manager, the fails are gone but so are the codes...

3. I am using Chrome

Also, with locks you are better off to pair them as close to the hub as possible (in the same room is preferable) before installing them. Especially with kwikset. They have very weak radios. I had a similar issue with in a previous home. On the recommendation of others in this forum I paired it first in the same room as the hub, then installed it in the door. Also, mine was maybe 25-30' from my hub and I needed an outlet to act as a repeater. The lock had a tendency to drop off every few hours, an @jwetzel1492 's Reliable Locks app made the lock very stable.

1 Like

I have 2 kwikset 916.

When using the zwave plus comm module, I always had to pair it within about 18" of the hub. Those modules use whisper pairing mode, which is a very low power pairing mode. It was designed as a security feature to prevent sniffers from catching the security key exchange. In practice it is just a big pain in the â– â– â– .

Even more annoyingly sometimes they will pair, but not complete the security key exchange. So you will think it's fully paired but it isn't. You have to check the device details page and verify that secure pairing is complete.

I have since replaced my 916s with zwave 700 Kwikset 620s. Those pair in place just fine, and are zwave 700, which was important to me.

4 Likes

Solutions:

1. @thebearmay 's advice to use the generic Z wave drive was and is the solution to my item 1 above.
    Although Hubitat has since added the "Kwikset 916" driver, they added it for the zigbee version. Kwikset (and Costco) sell the 916 in a Zwave version.
  2. LockCode Manager was the solution to item 2. I posted this originally when I first got the Hubitat and did not understand adding the device is separate from doing anything with it...
  3. Item 3 still has no solution. I think it is a bug. It works as I documented above - you have to click in a blank space instead of clicking on the word done - very counterintuitive...
    ETA: Tagging @bravenel to confirm this issue is on a bug tracking log somewhere, as I'm a bit surprised it has not yet been fixed...
  4. Has resolved itself. Not really sure how. Perhaps it resolved when I changed the driver...

@erktrek - references are to the items in my original post, the first one in the thread.
I've updated that post to bold the solutions

1 Like

Thanks! I did not look that far back!!! :rofl:

@mike.maxwell