Issue with presence rule

My wife left this morning at 5:31am, here is the log from her device

Yet this rule sent me a push that she arrived, has happened this way all week

Seems like the presence is right but not translating correctly via the rule??

Thoughts?
Rick

It is seeing you are still home so the if any present is true and it notifies but it says your wife arrived since hers was the device that triggered the rule to run.

When Nana departs the trigger happens. In the actions the conditional state of [Pops Pixel, Nana's Pixel, any present] is true because Pops Pixel is present, so it sends the arrival notification as specified. It would only get the the [ELSE-IF] condition if both Pops and Nana were departed.

It would likely be easiest to have separate rules for arrivals and departures, unless in the if statement you can choose any arrives instead of any present.

Here's what I do and it works fine.

Trigger, any of Me or Her change.

Send notification %device% has %value%.

1 Like

The above contains tips for why your rule does not work as expected. If you want to be notified on arrivals or departures, I think "changed" would make the best trigger, and then you wouldn't need a conditional since you can get both the device and the value of the triggering device from built-in variables.

I might also suggest the built-in Notifications app instead of Rule Machine. It can do exactly what you're trying to do but with a less effort--no need to make things harder than they need to be. :slight_smile: Something like this:

1 Like