Issue with Kwikset 910 Lock

I have not had many of the problems that others have experienced with it. It has performed rock solid for me with ST first and then HE.

I was going to find a Zigbee module for it before I gave up on it. I have had no luck with that. I didn't think about calling Kwikset. Maybe I can talk them into sending me a Zigbee module :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AFAIK, there is no swappable Zigbee module for the 910, but I could be wrong. Can't hurt to call them though.

What's sad is that I actually love that lock (the looks), but the Z-wave pains were enough to have me pulling my hair out.

1 Like

All the way down on the device page under "Data" do you see the following:

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true

Or is false ?

It is true.

I've got a repeater/beaming plug device that will be here anytime. Will place it about 4 feet from the lock and see if it starts back up.

It has worked flawlessly for a month and half at its present location without any issues. If this doesn't work, I am going to go with the ZWave radio has failed. I may try to find a Zigbee radio to put in it or get a Yale or another Schlage lock to replace it.

As @corerootedxb I don't think the module is interchangeable.
I have never seen anywhere on mine when I open it up that would allow that...

I ran across this post a while back:

I just took out the module in my lock and it looks just like this (except it is ZWave instead).

He says:

Was a 914

I believe that's a more robust unit with an upgrade slot, where you can change the module.
Pretty sure the 910 lacks that and it's soldered right onto the board.
I don't have access to any type of module on my 910.

EDIT: I see he says it should work with 910, but I don't know how...

Huh looking at it some more I'll have to see if I have any card looking things tucked away nicely in mine...

You can see mine when you remove the battery pack. I pulled it out and saw the pins just like that article.

Now if they were soldered in there, they are not now :slight_smile: Seemed to come out pretty easily.

Nice. $50 is a lot to convert it though...
I'd probably just upgrade now that my home is getting a little more serious...

Models 909 and later should all use the same modules. The one 910 I ripped apart certainly had a replacement module.

A lot cheaper than replacing the lock...

Perhaps... I guess I don't like the look of a lot of the newer locks any more than the 910 so maybe I wouldn't replace it..

Can't put my finger on it but they're all ugly lol

Problem is that I can't find any of the Zigbee replacement modules.

Yeah, I had to comb eBay for a while to get the 3 I needed.

Just as a quick update. I ordered another ZWave radio module from eBay (Couldn't find the Zigbee module).

After ordering, I remembered my dad had the very same lock with the Zigbee module that he was not using. My mom hated all the automation.

So I pulled the Zigbee module from his and pulled my ZWave out and stuck the Zigbee module into my lock. Score!!! Took all of 5 minutes to do.

Lock instantly was recognized and works as intended. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I have 5 Kwikset locks - 4 910's and one 914. Within the last two days, all five have quit responding to HE. They neither update their status nor does HE operate them. I did a Z-wave repair to no avail. I did a factory reset on one (press B button 9 times) then re-discovered it. Still no love.

I noticed when I send a command to the lock, the red LED behind button A lights up momentarily, so HE is apparently communicating with the lock, but nothing happens. Replaced the batteries, no help.

I can't believe all 5 locks would break at the same time.

That's what happened to mine. I noticed the red light as well. Don't know if something in the last update changed something or what.

I ended up replacing my ZWave radio with a Zigbee module I hijacked from my dad's lock and is working again.

After trying a reboot with no success, I completely shut HE down, unplugged it, then plugged it back in. Now the locks are all working fine. I guess a reboot doesn't restart the Z-wave dongle.

I just unpaired, excluded, my 910 from ST. Then paired with HE. Paired right up. But I can't do anything. Can't unlock, lock, or anything. No errors in logs. Not sure where to go from here.

Well, I give up. Excluded it, had to use ST to exclude. Got my hub to 3 inches from lock. Started pairing. Immediately found but stuck on initializing. Rebooted hub, repeated everything. Same result. Tired of messing with it.