Issue understanding / troubleshooting "Wait for Event"

@bravenel @bertabcd1234

Thank you both for your patience. I now see the logic of using the "Last Event Device". I had been under the erroneous assumption that the "Last Event Device" was the on right after the "Wait for Event Rule"

I now have the rule working the way I intended.

Again Thank you.

John

1 Like

Yeah, there's a bug. It's not creating the correct event subscription.

Problem found (recently introduced through a different bug fix). Fix in the next release.

1 Like

Thank you again,

So it turns out you were correct but I had a misunderstanding on how the entry process works. It's still not clear how the construct page works.

1 Like

Is this what you're asking about?

Yes, kinda however I would have thought the attributes were unique to each device. So I would expect the chosen exemplar device to be one of the devices in the trigger.

Or can the "Last Device" be whatever created an event even if it was in the conditions? In any case the exemplar device dropdown is in actually limited to those devices that have already created an event.

I'm good with the understanding I have. I guess if I found a need for the "Last device" wait I know how to use it. The above is just "talking"

Thanks for your input
John

Devices selected for triggers, and the actions of a rule, are independent. The actions can't limit the offered capabilities for Last Event Device for many reasons, including that you might define the actions at one point in time, and add another trigger later. So it asks for an exemplar device because only you know what's gong on, and the rule can't possibly read your mind. So you pick an exemplar device in order to get the set of attributes you might need. The exemplar device has no other purpose than that, and is not constrained to only the trigger devices.

Having selected the capability that you want to use with Last Event Device, you can create the Wait Event or Condition based only on that attribute. By its very nature, Last Event Device may apply to potentially several different devices -- otherwise you could just use an explicit device and wouldn't need Last Event Device at all. Whenever there is a trigger device event or wait device event, Last Event Device is set to that device.

Thank you. After thinking about it for a while I was able to imagine a possible use the "Last Device" capability.

John

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.