Is Zooz ZSE11 supported?

I was looking at the Zooz 4 in Device which is also called the Zooz Z-Wave Plus Q Sensor and wanted to be sure there is a built in driver before I buy it.

I saw on the Compatibility page there is a Zooz product listed right below the old 4-in-1 but the model field is empty. Is this it? (And if so, please fill in the model # on the compatibility page). Dos anyone have experience with this? My daughter wants the lights to turn off in the bathroom automatically but not if she is in the shower.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-ZSE11-Temperature-Humidity-Required/dp/B09GDL6BGY/ref=dp_prsubs_sccl_2/136-5424713-0769405?pd_rd_w=jLGHi&content-id=amzn1.sym.3ad0ccdf-fd9f-4ec9-a400-2b1165fdcd58&pf_rd_p=3ad0ccdf-fd9f-4ec9-a400-2b1165fdcd58&pf_rd_r=GWSAMCMRAX1Q3KNQ5EHB&pd_rd_wg=iznps&pd_rd_r=637fd667-8c53-43df-8bf1-4a5f79e97611&pd_rd_i=B09GDL6BGY&psc=1

The Zooz 4-in-1 and the Zooz Q Sensor are different products with different model numbers. Model ZSE40 is the 4-in-1, while ZSE11 is the Q Sensor.

The problems you noted with the 4-in-1 are applicable to the ZSE40 only, and were only reported on the older, 500-series version of that device. They updated it to 700-series a few years ago -- sometimes labled something like "ZSE40 700," but Zooz has a habit of re-using model numbers or silently upgrading the Z-Wave chip without any fanfare. I have not seen any reports of that generation being problematic. (The problems were seemingly specifically related to not having a separate non-secure inclusion method but also only supporting S0. So, it included with S0 on the C-7 and newer, and that, along with frequent reporting and perhaps other firmware oddities, contributed to problems for some users).

While they were working on that, they reelased the Q Sensor (ZSE11) as an alternative, since it did not have the same problem. In the meantime, they've decided to discontinue the ZSE40 and have also updated the ZSE11 to 800-series (sometimes also seen as the ZSE11 800LR, but again, the note about their model numbers and silent hardware upgrades applies).

So, the device you're looking at is the Q Sensor, model ZSE11 (likely the 800LR version if you're buying it today; The Smartest House will say for sure if you buy it from them, but Amazon might have varying stock).

All of these are compatible with Hubitat, except they changed a couple things with the 800LR model of the ZSE11 that don't work with the built-in driver on 2.3.8. I'd expect these to be addressed in a future release, or in the meantime, my custom driver (EDIT: or Jeff's below) will work with any generation. (EDIT: Except I see I never committed my changes for the 800-series model--I'll look again later today!)

1 Like

Thanks. So if I want to get it now would you recommend the ZSE11 as it has the 800 chip (or something else with motion and humidity)? I'm running a C-8 with 2.3.8.140.

I have ZSE11 800LR and ZSE18 800LR devices running just fine on my C8-Pro. I'm using this driver set:

Which to pick? Depends on what features and size you want.

• ZSE11 is much larger, uses two CR123A batteries, but has more sensors.
  • ZSE18 is much smaller, uses one CR123A battery, but doesn't have humidity/temp/lux.

I won't buy any new Z-Wave sensors that are not z-wave 800 AND support Z-Wave Long Range at this point, but that is a personal preference for future proofing.

Z-Wave 800 devices are much better on battery usage than Z-Wave 500 or 700, too, so that is another reason for my 800 preference on battery operated devices.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks!

As an aside, the ZSE18 LR motion isn't a step up, for me, so far.
Weak range.

Do you happen to mean the ZSE18 or the ZSE11, by chance? The ZEN34 is a battery-powered remote. (But I'm always curious to hear what Z-Wave motion sensors people actually like... :smiley: )

Yes I did. I'll fix the post. Thanks for the heads up!

Dunno. I typically get much better range on my LR devices than the non-LR counterparts or the LR device paired mesh instead of LR. I've "went for a walk" with LR and non-LR devices when testing and always get much further distance on the LR devices.

But radio waves are a funny thing, and there can be a lot of variability.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think I went off half-cocked when I bad mouthed the ZSE18 sensor.
I too did a walk around earlier, and had good results.
The trees didn't have leaves at the time though. :slight_smile:
What I did find helped was relocating the hub just a tad.
I had it on the window sill, but there's a metal frame as well as an aluminum screen.
I hung it on the wall with contact strips-I just discovered them, lol.
Made sure it was over a stud bay-well, it sounded hollow anyway.
Getting a whopping 7dB now, whatever that means.

7 dB isn't "great", but really anything >0 is typically OK, with larger positive number = better. And I've had some devices work <0 too, so that isn't a hard and fast rule either - you are just typically relying on the protocol's error correction at that point to save you.

Before I activated it this morning it was N/A, lol.

Changing the location of the hub was key, in my mind.

I had been carrying around the new ATT Orb (5g home internet gateway) from place to place, looking for throughput nirvana, so that also had me thinking "radio".

1 Like

Hate to dredge this sort of old thread back up, but I’m curious what the thoughts on the ZSE11 are? I’m specifically looking to replace a Hue Indoor sensor with one.
While I have several ZSE18’s (both 700 and 800LR), and a ZSE70, I’m interested in this because of the lux sensor. I do use lux in the hue sensor rules I currently have.
@JasonJoel above you said it is MUCH larger. On a scale of ZSE18 to ZSE70, where does it fall, particularly considering what I would like it to replace (Hue Indoor).

TIA

Thanks

Side by Side for you

1 Like

The motion works great. I don't use the lux reading so I can't comment on that.

1 Like

You should find someone with actual experience with lux on that sensor. I have some older outdoor Zooz motions that do lux but not well. Just, basically, night and day.

Looks like from the front roughy the same face size as the ZSE70? Your drivers work with this, correct?

Yes very close to the size of the ZSE70 but thinner.
Yes I have a driver for the ZSE11 in my package.

1 Like

I think I saw what you were talking about with my ZSE70, and that is the default setting, but once you define a lux level it (so far) seems to be a bit better. Hopefully this will be the same. The room it’s going in tends to be dark most of the time. I’m looking to having the lights NOT kick on if the lux is above a certain level which will usually only happen if the curtains are open.

Using the older version of the Q-Sensor ZEN-11 for only LUX. It is used to change the day/night modes on Dahua IP cameras using the HUB to send a HTTP GET command to Blue Iris connected cameras.

It is mounted outside, pointing up at the sky. It caps out at 65,000 LUX which is about half of a bright sunny day. Only use it for values less than 300 LUX for mode switching as interested in sunrise/sunset values near these two times.

Did not use the battery feature, but power it with a 5 VDC power wart.

For outside use, found that the internal electronics add to generated heat and distort the reported temperature. Thus it is not used. Also, it is important to water proof the unit for outside use. This has been in service for the past year with no failures.

Typical LUX logged data for one day. Data is only reported for values of 300 and less.

1 Like