Is Zigbee a Con? Overpriced?

I see your point Wayne but the point you are making is the point I’m making to get to that point I have to purchase at least 4 more repeaters or 8 which drives up the cost, if I add more WiFi devices the cost is just those devices if I add more zigbee zwave devices I’m just not getting those devices if I want them to run without problem I also have to invest in more repeaters which drive up the cost anD the cost of my electricity.

I too am a local freak aaiyar I have a couple of Lifx bulbs and they run locally, so this myth that WiFi devices cannot run locally is just that a myth any wife device can run locally with a local api developed for it.

I understand you believe it is the cheaper route. but your point is only valid though if "your plan" is to overall just have "a few" automated devices. A wifi router is very limited on the total number of device simultaneous connections, therefore YOUR cost with this route is adding Wifi routers as you get to the maximums of your existing router to spread the load across multiple routers when you start getting many devices.

There is a "cost" either way you go, you aren't saving anything UNLESS you really don't plan on adding many devices. The cost of electricity for mains powered devices to stay plugged in is less than $1 per month for the 32 plug in devices I have. Not to mention most all wifi devices have to be plugged in also

The BIG downfall with your route is when a Wifi router fails (at some point they all do) instantly dozens and dozens of devices no longer are usable until a new router is present.

If a repeating zwave or zigbee device fails only THAT device stops working and the other devices are re-routed through other repeaters with the mesh.

1 Like

Can Lifx bulbs work locally without an initial cloud-based setup? In any event, many WiFi devices officially integrated with Hubitat are cloud dependent (eg. ecobee thermostats).

Yes the Lifx integration is a local api no cloud needed.

Disagree Wayne my router system is a mesh system got it on sale for $300 with a satellite router that I didn’t have to use. My system distributes the traffic so that all traffic is optimized if you count cellphones into my system I’m well over 50 WiFi devices and my WiFi is chugging along no problem and if it does slow down I just pop in that satellite router and I’m good, but as I said I just can’t add zwave or zigbee without added costs now right now I can add as many WiFi devices as I want and still won’t have an additional cost. And just as I stated earlier I use a WiFi plug to make sure if there is a problem with HE that I can do a hard shutdown can’t do that with zigbee or zwave.

You stated that you currently stream with Wifi. According to Netgear's own stated specifications you are currently at your MAX with over 50 devices. Therefore adding more will soon need to spend another $300 on more routers.

"Your Orbi system can simultaneously support up to 250 clients under most conditions. If your household has users who use a lot of bandwidth for activities like HD video streaming and online gaming, you will experience better performance when a maximum of 50 clients are connected to your Orbi network."

https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support

Yes that I am aware of hence me saying I have a satellite still sitting in the box not being used, and as far as my WiFi network with those devices I can still stream had content to 4 TVs at the same time with no problem or slow down. So I don’t have to spend $300 for anymore equipment but I woul$ have and do have to by more repeaters if I stick with zigbee zwave.

This is such a fun topic. I have an Orbi mesh, two satellites. I only have 6 HE devices on Wi-Fi, but with three kids and a wife I have anywhere from 30 to 40 devices at any given time connected. I have 30+ Z-Wave and 50+ Zigbee devices. My only issues are occasional missed events on Wi-Fi devices, color changes on mode (user installed driver) and stuff. The only ZigBee issues are with known (OSRAM) routing and network (ERIA) drop outs. But this is all specific to my configuration, execution, and devices. Nobody has the setup that I do; and nobody has the same problems as I. All three networks have their own strengths and weaknesses'; and just because you experience issues that doesn't mean it's the fault of the IEEE committee overseeing the standard.

Welcome to the Bleeding Edge of IoT and Home Automation. Stick with whatever works for you.

4 Likes

Adding a satellite won't work. A satellite works as a bridged repeater. And since the congestions in WiFi networks are a router problem Wayne is actually right about the extra 300... But let's stop the cat and mouse game. If your WiFi devices work for you that is good. If zigbee or z-wave works for others that is great too. The main thing is that we all do HA, no matter what protocol or radio.

What is a cat and mouse game?

What kind of batteries do your WiFi sensors use? Do you notice them running out more quickly than z-wave or zigbee devices? Wifi is supposed to be a much more power hungry way to transmit sensor events.

The ones I have take 2 aaa batteries, the particular ones that I have I have noticed that th3 battery drain isn’t a lot , my whole point is that I understand completely what the video author is saying about the zigbee protocol it runs off 2.4 ghz just like my WiFi sensors and plugs but they charge a hefty price for them that’s my only problem if they cost the same as a WiFi sensors I probably wouldn’t complain but they cost more and are less reliable and have an extra built in cost of repeaters. I just want the price to come down to their worth.

Now the Xaoimi stuff is reasonable priced but hard to get to work.

$4.63 per zigbee sensor 8 Pack New 1st gen Iris Contact Sensor w/ Battery door Window Lower Wireless 828439642710 | eBay

$10 per zigbee repeating outlet New IRIS Zigbee 4 Pack 110 Volt White Smart Plug Lowes Hubitat Arcus SPG800/902 848648000101 | eBay

and also here $10 https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-compatible-Remotely-Monitor-Appliances/dp/B00TC9NC82/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=peanut+plug&qid=1567490922&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The first thing I would like to say is I appreciate the civil conversation had here especially by Waynespringer79 it’s nice to have a conversation and take opposite sides without it degrading into a shouting match so thx for that.

Also thx for the links Wayne but I was led to believe that the first gen iris sensors will cause havoc with your other sensors, also I need repeaters that have beaming, do those repeaters beam?

1 Like

Agreed, same here. We can have different perspectives and there may be some things you or I haven't heard of or seen before. That is always my intention, never to degrade, but to "possibly" inform.

Mike Maxwell specifically wrote drivers for the V1 Iris Devices, when you go to your devices page and discover devices at the top. The type of device your including, one is specifically labeled Iris V1 Zigbee. So if there are any issues with them Mike should be notified as they are directly supported with Hubitat. They are all also on the "List of Compatible Devices" I have 8 of the contact sensors and no issues

Beaming is more of a Zwave thing (I'm pretty sure)

1 Like

Tasmota is the opposite of what you seem to think, It allows you to flash cheap Chinese products that use ESP8266 chips, like the Sonoff, with the Tasmota software so it can be locally controlled using mqtt or http. Once flashed any Chinese software is overwritten and is no longer a danger.

Theo Arends has done an amazing job on this and is expanding the reach of his platform all the time. I use quite a few Sonoffs that have been Tasmota flashed and they are very reliable.

Good stuff I just need beaming because I’m told that’s what would eliminate my door lock problems but I have 4 aeotec plugs that beam but they don’t seem to be helping with my zwave locks.

I've not used the plugs, I would assume aeotec would use the same beaming in those. I have 5 of the aeotec range extender 6's and it solved my locks issue. The definitely amplified the "secured" zwave signal for the locks. I've also heard good results from the Leviton switches that also have beaming.

Ok thx again Wayne

I’m also nervous to introduce more iris devices into my mesh I have 2 v2 keypads I also have a ton of Osram Lightify dimmer switches and I heard the Osram stuff can cause havoc if iris v1 devices are in the mix.