Is Z-Wave range really this bad? How to diagnose?

I'd still follow that. Pair with battery if you're using battery pair with usb if you're going to power it.

Have you considered controlling the outside circuits from inside the house? Presumably the lines are inside the house before they go outside to things like your fountain. Rather than use an outside plug, maybe you could wire a switch into the line before it goes outside the house. Just another idea that might help eliminate some of the mesh issues with being stretched too thin. It also eliminates the weatherproofing issue you'll have with putting gear outside.

1 Like

I had similar issues when I first moved over from wink because I only had one or two zwave devices and the rest were zigbee. I bought the aeotec Range Extender 6 to help alleviate issues I was having with my Z-Wave front door lock. Haven't had a single issue since it's been months.
They were 60 bucks full price but the reliability has been Rock Solid. If you don't plan on adding a bunch more zwave devices soon I would recommend this simple and relatively inexpensive fix.