Is this Rule correct?

I have associated here a simple rule, can someone please tell me if it will do what I think it is doing?
I want to be able to set the mode to AWAY from Feb. 8, 2019, at 5:20pm until Feb. 9 at 6:30pm.
Is this rule going to do it?

It should change your mode at the desired date and times, once they both hit True. And will stay Away until something else sets it back.

But will it change it at Feb. 8 5:20PM and keep it that way until Feb. 9 6:30PM (next day)?

It will change to Away when the date and time hits Feb 8 5:20PM, when the Condition becomes True.
Between those dates and times doesn't actually matter as there is nothing set for False.

So you would be better off using a Triggered rule, unless when the condition becomes False, you want to change the Mode to something else?

Here's what that rule will do:

Now: False
Feb 8 at 5:20pm: True (set mode to Away)
Feb 8 at 6:30pm: False
Feb 9 at 5:20pm: True (set mode to Away)
Feb 9 at 6:30pm: False

Not what it sounds like you're wanting.

Question:
What if I have one rule that says:
(Feb 8 AND 5:20pm) OR (Feb 15 AND 5:39pm ) set to AWAY
and another rule that says:
(Feb 9 AND 6:30PM) OR (Feb 16 and 6:45PM) set to HOME

Won't that do the trick?
Also, is there a more efficient way of doing this?
(I intend on doing at least 50 dates, and 50 times in each of the two rules above.)

Using Life360 as a presence sensor on your phone, and set to Home and Away by just your presence.

Wouldn't this better? Its how most seem to be achieving this and using the HSM.

I don't want to use presence sensor, I want it to change at a specific date/time.

You could have two rules, one for Away, one for Home, with 50 dates in each:

Time between 5;20 PM EST and 5:20 PM EST
AND
(
Between February 8 and February 8
OR
Between February 15 and February 15
OR
Between February 22 and February 22
OR
etc.
)
Mode Away

similar for Mode Home.

It would yes.

Sadly, not that I'm aware of.

Is setting this manually via a dashboard out of the question? Might be easier for you to control.

Except that it's a different time on each of those 50 dates.
I.E. on Feb 8th it's 5:20pm, on Feb 15th it's 5:39, etc.
so the issue is that nowhere in this RM do I have the choice of selecting a "date/time" value.
Note: a date/time value is : February 8th, 2019 at 5:20pm.

You're right, it might be easier, but very tedious.
The issue is the lack of being able to specify a date/time value in RM.

I was hoping to introduce the Complex Rule feature of ( ) as well as the fact that dates and times are inclusive. Feb 8 to Feb 8 is a whole day. 5:20 to 5:20 is a whole minute. :slight_smile:

Does a trigger allow a specific date and time value? I can't remember offhand, and I'm traveling so can't confirm for a few days

no date, just 'Certain time'

I'd do a triggered rule then. Have a trigger that fires at the desired time, then put a date condition/rule on it. Run the desired actions when true, nothing entered under false. This would allow grouping dates that you want to run at the same time in one rule. You'd need a different triggered rule for each desired start time.

Out of curiosity, why the different times on each of 50 dates? You're not trying to program in sunset times right?

I know that sunrise and sunset are available as well as offsets to those numbers. So I'm not trying to duplicate sunrise or sunset.

1 Like

Curious what the application of these rules is. Are you able to explain a bit more and maybe someone can suggest a more efficient solution?

1 Like

I'd like to thank everyone who attempted to help a (rather new) person here.

I found a great alternative!!!

One of the famous Cobra Apps, is something called Scheduled Switch. Basically it allows you to set a (virtual) switch on/off at a date and time in the future. One small other app to change Modes based on that virtual switch and voila - changing modes based on a date/time in the future. (It even allows you to put in a date/time to switch back!) Perfect!

For the groovy challenged among us, I can heartily recommend his apps!

2 Likes

I don't understand your requirement. You know the exact time that you are going to arrive back home days before you actually arrive? This is the part that I'm not understanding. What if you get delayed or decide to stop at the store on the way home? This is especially risky if you have HSM tied to your mode. You would have no way of changing that schedule in that app unless you VPN's into your home network and then connected to the hub and then went in and removed the schedule from Cobra's app.