Is there advantage to going Lutron Caseta switches?

I went with Lutron Caseta (currently standardizing on the Diva/Claro line - with Claro Smart Accessory switches in 3-way locations). The switches work reliably, but there is one other reason that no one else has mentioned.

I had gone all in on Insteon. Honestly, they performed great, had a well developed variety of devices, and offered some features you still can't really find in alternatives today, but they are now gone. That's a large investment kind of left hanging.

I considered Inovelli. I like the look and capabilities of their products, but with so many internal/external/supply chain issues - they have had out-of-stock products for a year, massive delays on announced products, (some never came to fruition and even today they don't know if/when). I just don't want to be in the same boat with a company that may not be able to deliver what I need, when I need it down the road. I like consistency in look and feel of switches throughout my home - so I like to stick with one manufacturer.

So I paid a little more (I generally buy most of my Caséta switches from trusted ebay merchants for about $10 less than box store prices), but the product is very good, and I have high confidence that Lutron is not going anywhere any time soon. The Diva/Claro Smart switches are a newly launched line that I'm confident they will stay committed to for a while. So that was the tipping point for me - manufacturer stability. I just replaced about 50 Insteon devices, and I don't want to be doing that again any time soon. I like Inovelli, and I hope they make it past their struggles and I really hope they grow and flourish - but at this point in time for me, manufacturer stabilty was a consideration.

4 Likes

I have a set of as yet unopened zigbee blue switches for a client's new build. Have not checked the serial#'s yet though :crossed_fingers:. I hope Inovelli survives too.. the staff seem like really good people. The Red and Black Switches I've installed have been working well for 2 years at least no complaints so far.. I did have some issues with their bulbs though.. but a firmware update resolved most of it.

2 Likes

In terms of making a decision - why not purchase a single Zooz switch/dimmer and see how that works out? Worst case you're out the cost of a switch but have gained useful knowledge/experience. Just make sure you have a strong enough mesh or install it near the hub.

1 Like

The biggest issue I have with (original) Caseta is the physical UI. We don't do motion lighting so we still interact with the switches themselves a lot. We absolutely hate the Caseta button layout. You can't just reach in to a dark room and hit the switch as you can with "regular" toggles or paddles.

With the release of the Diva style of Caseta, that is no longer an issue and we are looking forward to integrating those soon.

Lutron has excellent tech and isn't going anywhere.

2 Likes

I purchase a couple also. I had narrowed it down to Lutron and Inovelli based on many factors, and was going to try them both in a couple locations before making my final decision and replacing everything. I wound up never even installing the Blue series when they arrived. My first Casetas were the old style, and while I appreciated the reliability, I never liked the crowded button style. The Diva/Claro line solved that, and my other concern which was preset dim. I watched Inovelli stumble again with a recall. I checked the serial# on my yet-to-be-installed Blue series to make sure they were not affected (they weren't), and sold them to someone in the Inovelli community forums. I'm almost done now moving everything over to Caséta, and I'm happy with my choice.

4 Likes

I do like and recommend Lutron but some of my clients balk at the expense - usually with renovations while new builds are an easier sell.

My largest Zooz install has been a house with 65+ switches and dimmers. Only had to replace a few and that was mostly due to the electrician not following the instructions and using longer screws or over torquing things. Once working the switches/dimmers continue to work..

Also some people (my wife!) are not thrilled with the original Caseta look and feel. I'm so glad Lutron has added more traditional looking switches to their least expensive lineup.

2 Likes

We originally got into smart switches to solve a (long story) issue during a kitchen remodel - our electrician recommended Caseta, so I worked with him to get the desired parts -- a Pro hub and we went with the ELV dimmer for all the kitchen switches.

We actually needed the ELV dimmer for a couple spots, and then used them elsewhere so all Picos and switches matched for consistency's sake.

The aesthetic of the ELV dimmer (and the "flat" legacy dimmer & switch) is an understandable point of contention... That 5-button layout works really slick as a tabletop remote, but doesn't have the most awesome tactility on a wall.

But our kitchen lighting is all automated and on scene-based rails, so we very rarely ever actually touch any of those individual ELVs.

Initially, I didn't think we'd really use standalone Picos as remotes for stuff in HE, but now we have a whole bunch of them scattered around -- they are awesome and pretty darn cheap to boot.

But elsewhere in house, I use Inovelli Blues and a few Zooz's since those other switches/dimmers get touched more often -- having a more traditional rocker look-&-feel is welcome for us and any guests.

Plus, I get a TON of mileage out of having all of those Blues and Zooz's do other stuff beyond just their own wired load -- control scenes, other devices in the room etc etc. That's not possible with Caseta, unfortunately.

Bottomline -- no reason to go with just one solution everywhere -- having options is a win!

3 Likes

This! :point_up:

Again depends on your use-case. I have both as well. Caseta switches in our basement but like your setup, controlled mostly via motion sensors etc. I also like the Picos - and use them outside of Lutron to control sconces w/smart bulbs and office lights etc.

Were I in the poster's situation I would probably start with something like a Zooz Zen71 or 76 get a feel for how things work without breaking the bank.

1 Like

This is great advice -- it'll help give you a good idea of what's possible, and even if you decide later to go with a different solution in that spot, you can likely repurpose that original device somewhere else.

The main problem with smart switches is that once you start adding them, you can't stop until they are all smart :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have a bunch of Zooz Switches in my house and 1 Inovelli Red switch which is a fan controller. I have been completely satisfied with all of them. I had one failure, and it was related to how i used the switch vs what it was designed to do

I do think that the point about it being your use case that is important is what really makes the difference. You also want to know that before you get to far into what switch you get. Not all have the same support for light devices supported. Some also do better with 3 way then others and some handle virtual switch functions better then others. Zooz has a good primmer that will tell you based on the light functions needs which switch to get. It is here. The only Zooz switch I have had fail was one I was using in a unsupported manor. I reported it to Zooz and they replaced the switch in no time. I really don't feel they needed to replace it since it's failure was my fault, but they did. that is great customer service.

1 Like

I don't find this an issue at all. We have over 50 switches. Top is on and bottom is off. How can you not be able to feel the top and bottom of the switch? They even have indicator lights so you know the location of the switch in the dark compare to many other smart switches. Of course I am being biased because I like them. The Diva seem to solve this problem so many people I guess.

1 Like

That is a real problem as it isn't the first time I have heard/seen it. The tactile feel of them is just very different. I suspect though if you are willing to rethink your lighting and learn that new feel it is probably less.

I would also point out that Zooz, Inovelli, and Jasco have LED's on their switches that can help you locate them as well.

1 Like

I started out with zwave switches (mostly GE/Jasco). I also have some zooz and inovelli (inovelli ceiling fan solution is unique, as is the GE/Jasco switch/dimmer with built in motion sensor).

After 3 plus years of usage this has all been solid. Around 2 years ago I also installed the Lutron Pro Bridge, and added Lutron Picos and some switches. If I could do it all over again, I would install Lutron right from the beginning.

To answer your question (or address your dilemma), I believe it boils down to what are you trying to accomplish. If this is a hobby for you, and you would like to automate a few devices and you don't see your current home as a long-term asset, then go with Kasa devices, they are typically the cheapest and integrate well with HE, I have a few Kasa devices and they work. If you don't like Kasa then go with Inovelli, Zooz, GE/Jasco. If instead you would like to install a smarthome that is on par with professional installations, then go with Lutron, you will not regret yet. Nobody ever regrets spending a little extra money for quality and performance.

A few caveats:

• I love my GE/Jasco switches/dimmers with integrated motion sensors, I don't know anybody else with this solution.
  • Inovelli makes a ceiling fan/light solution that is unique and works when you only have a single wire from the switch location to the fan/light. I don't know anybody else with this solution.

Some users have done the following with zooz switches due to how they perform with no load on them:Aeotec Bypass Dimmer - Alternative - #17 by steve.maddigan

Examples like this is why I will go mostly Lutron with all my switch/button needs going forward.

7 Likes

My path was almost identical to @Stephan.J's. I started out with GE/Jasco switches/dimmers. And then transitioned to Lutron.

I do have Zooz dimmers/switches in the bathrooms, closets, and garage.

2 Likes

I like the feel, moreso I like the look. The fact that it's different from the typical paddle switch is what attracted me to it in the first place.

1 Like

I am the opposite. There are now only a couple switches in my house, the rest are dimmers. Over time I have even swapped out the outdoor lights and garage lights to dimmers. It is so nice to be able to walk around the house at night and not have everything turn on blindingly bright. The bonus is the nice smooth ramp between on and off.

The only actual switches I have are for the few things that cannot be dimmable. My basement lights are the old florescent tubes (for now at least) that can't be dimmed. I also have a couple neon signs that need to be on a switch rather than a dimmer as well. Oh, and the ceiling fans are on a switch too.

4 Likes

Just make sure your bulbs are capable of being dimmed.. if changing from a switch to a dimmer.

2 Likes

I'm with you. The only lights in my house not on dimmers are the shop lights, the LEDs on the deck railings and under the kitchen cabinets, the main hall closet, and the basement bathroom (and that one is going to be replaced soon. :slight_smile:) All my automations are mode based so the lights come on dimly at night, and brighter but not full in the evenings.

2 Likes

I do like the look, and I'd prefer a bit more travel but the tactile feel isn't a big deal for me. My only problem with them is that the brightness-up button should be the upper right corner of the middle part, not the upper left. "More" is usually either up or to the right. Up/Right diagonally works fine. But up/left continues to throw me even after almost 5 years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.