Is there advantage to going Lutron Caseta switches?

I currently have zero smart switches, but do need to pick up some. I've really been struggling with WHICH to get, though. One hurdle is that I've got a bunch of 3-way switches, and vastly prefer the offerings that work with existing "dumb" switches so you only have to replace one switch. My townhome is ~5 years old, so while wiring throughout may be a bit inconsistent I expect it to be modern and to code and whatnot.

I guess I can certainly mix+match for each purpose, but also perhaps no reason to mix brands unnecessarily.

Names I keep hearing are Zooz and Inovelli - and Lutron. Lutron requires an additional bridge (and I've learned it has to be the more expensive Pro bridge) so that makes the cost to entry quite costly - plus their switches seem more expensive too.

So, for someone starting from zero, is there a valid reason to choose to go into the Lutron Caseta system over the others?

There are two reasons I can think of.

If you don't have a neutral wire, the Caseta dimmers work great. Many (but not all) smart switches require the neutral wire to power the smart switch circuitry.

The Pico is a very easy way to put multiple controls in for 3-way or 4-way circuits. There is not any wiring, or any special switches needed. You can even mount a Pico where you don't have an existing switch if needed, no electrical box is even needed.

I don't see an issue mixing and matching if needed. I do try to keep all switches in one box the same style, so I don't mix Pico remotes with Decora switches, for example. But with the newer style Caseta, that may be even less of an issue than previously.

I do have a few Casta switches, and they are OK. But what really shines is the Pico. They are inexpensive, the batteries last 10 years, and they can be mounted anywhere as a button controller. They even sell a table stand that I use for table lamps, so I can control smart bulbs and smart outlets very easily. The Pico are super versatile in Hubitat, you can use them for all sorts of automations where you might not want voice control, or want to dig out a phone to turn on a light or ceiling fan or whatever.

3 Likes

So I actually haven’t looked into functionality of pico remotes at all - apart from icons, I see 5 buttons on them. Does that mean they can actually have 5 diff options in hubitat - unrelated to Lutron, unrelated to a switch?

And do they support anything like holding or double clicking? Anything like that or beyond the 5 extra options I’m thinking of?

The 10yr battery life is absolutely amazing, love it.

But the $200 CAD pro bridge + $75 switches not so much :sob:

Yes, Lutron lighting systems “just work” all the time, every time.

Additionally, Lutron is a true lighting solution, not just a bunch of Zigbee or Z-Wave switches. Lutron Caseta works natively with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Hubitat, SmartThings, Home Assistant, Sonos, Ecobee, Node-RED, Logitech Harmony Hub, etc…

While Lutron does cost more, it also provides more functionality and reliability out of the box, IMHO.

4 Likes

True. But these switches and dimmers are bullet-proof. I have never had an issue with Caséta devices. In ~9-10 years.

Plus what @neonturbo and @ogiewon wrote.

2 Likes

Yes, Hubitat’s Pico remote integration includes pushed, held, and double clicked functionality.

So, one 5 button Pico could be used for 15 different automations.

I use mine to control Philips Hue bulbs in Table/Floor lamps, for example. They work great.

3 Likes

Energy Avenue has a decent price on the Pro Bridge including a switch and Pico for $200 USD. A Pro Bridge alone there is $150, so maybe there are ways to get a bridge cheaper than $200? Energy Avenue are a reliable source of Lutron stuff, many here have used them in the past. They do ship internationally, but not sure how exchange rate or fees might factor into the cost you might pay in Canada.

I do think the switches are high priced. But they do just work without fuss.

You can use a Pico with a Z-wave switch, or a Zigbee switch in Hubitat, so you aren't locked exclusively into Lutron for lighting if there is an area where you don't need the more expensive Caseta switches.

I also look at the $14 Pico vs a $25-$30 auxiliary switch, or a similar priced battery operated button controller which won't last 10 years like the Pico. The math isn't quite as good as it used to be, but if you use a dozen or so Pico, that almost pays for the bridge.

1 Like

Indeed I noticed the same kit can be had for $251-ish in Canada

Which is certainly better than $190 for the bridge alone.

But yeah $200 usd plus exchange plus shipping plus potential duties make it probably more expensive or at least a bit price-risky

2 Likes

I can only reiterate that Lutron Caséta devices (switches, dimmers, Picos) have been the most bullet-proof component of my home automation system.

I know they're pricy. But they are simply bullet-proof, and Luton's wireless protocol (called ClearConnect) is exceptionally robust.

5 Likes

I'm a big fan of Zooz switches. I get that folks say Lutron switches are "bullet proof" but I've only ever had an issue with a single Zooz switch and it was replaced in two days by Zooz.

The Lutron devices also don't contribute to building a robust Z network. So, now you're in the realm of spending double on the switches, plus having to supplement whichever flavor of Z network you prefer with other mains powered devices to serve as repeaters (this may not be an issue if that's already part of the plan anyhow).

Price is the largest issue. $59 vs $29 for a basic on/off switch. Add that up to the scale of a full house and the difference is significant.

4 Likes

What he said!

However, I want to add that they're not that expensive especially if you need 3-way circuits. The Caseta dimmer packs that include a pico are $65 or so at Home Depot. (They were $50 when I did my house, but that was almost 5 years ago.) For a 3-way, that's just $33 per switch position. If you need 4 positions, you can use a pico you didn't need from another pack, or buy an extra for $20 - so for 3 switch positions, that's just $28 each. They save some time too. Only the actual dimmer needs to be wired in- for the other positions, just pull the switch, wire-nut the wires together, and mount the pico over the opening.

The best thing about the picos is they make it easy to control lights (brightness, not just on/off) from as many places as you want, without even needing a hub. (You can even use their mounting-plate kit to put them on walls where there wasn't even a switch.) That also means they work regardless of whether Hubitat (or even the Lutron hub) are running or not.

3 Likes

A ZEN71 is $29 and works with existing switches in a 3 way (and 4 way depending on wiring) configuration. A ZEN34 is $24, can be used like a Pico, and has z-wave association to allow use without Hubitat being up.

The Zooz devices also have a smart bulb mode to disable the power relay on the switch. This allows smart bulbs to be constantly powered and use of the switch as a button controller. To my knowledge, you have to hot wire the socket and use a Pico to get the same functionality with Lutron.

4 Likes

Yeah I mean the zooz definitely are cheaper and of course the gap grows as you buy more.

Right now I don’t have a single dimmer in my townhome - and I might add a couple but not many?

And I can see value in a pico remote or two but also don’t expect to add them everywhere - and there are other random zigbee/zwave scene controllers that give you lots of buttons and functionality too…

Hmmmmmmmm

You won’t regret that one time purchase. If you are not in a rush, you can find deals on eBay. I have twice. First Caséta smart bridge pro was $50 CAD. Sold that with my home, but got the bridge pro for this house for $100 CAD if I remember correctly.

What you probably will regret is, if you buy the push button Casèta dimmers. They don’t remember the dim level when you turn them off, but the new Caséta Diva smart dimmers do.

As for the pico, I don’t know if they’re going to change the look of them or not. That’s not something I care about, and I actually really like the middle button on them. Nice to have that extra functionality and it’s great to “hide” settings and special functionality in there for just you. I have never heard of anyone regretting the purchase of Picos and a smart bridge pro. And when you combine that with the Hubitat hub, it’s unlike anything you’ve ever experienced in smart home control. I don’t just mean button pushes, I mean the whole incredibly high reliability and configuration options in one package.

2 Likes

I'll chime in. They are tanks. I also haven't changed any of the batteries in my pico's in 10+ years.

1 Like

Admittedly without even reading through the other comments in the thread:

They work. Reliably. Day in, day out. For years.

I've had a variety of z-wave switches from various mfrs die in less than a year, and countless episodes of at least occasional missed signals on most of my z-wave switches. I've done little with zigbee, largely because it was even worse for me. Never had any of that from Lutron Caseta. No replacements needed. No missed signals. It just works.

3 Likes

While I agree with all the Lutron comments here I have to say I've found Zooz products to be top notch. Maybe not quite as battle hardened BUT far less expensive and no extra hub / account required. I've had switches running reliably for the last 6 years or so..

4 Likes

I went with Lutron Caseta (currently standardizing on the Diva/Claro line - with Claro Smart Accessory switches in 3-way locations). The switches work reliably, but there is one other reason that no one else has mentioned.

I had gone all in on Insteon. Honestly, they performed great, had a well developed variety of devices, and offered some features you still can't really find in alternatives today, but they are now gone. That's a large investment kind of left hanging.

I considered Inovelli. I like the look and capabilities of their products, but with so many internal/external/supply chain issues - they have had out-of-stock products for a year, massive delays on announced products, (some never came to fruition and even today they don't know if/when). I just don't want to be in the same boat with a company that may not be able to deliver what I need, when I need it down the road. I like consistency in look and feel of switches throughout my home - so I like to stick with one manufacturer.

So I paid a little more (I generally buy most of my Caséta switches from trusted ebay merchants for about $10 less than box store prices), but the product is very good, and I have high confidence that Lutron is not going anywhere any time soon. The Diva/Claro Smart switches are a newly launched line that I'm confident they will stay committed to for a while. So that was the tipping point for me - manufacturer stability. I just replaced about 50 Insteon devices, and I don't want to be doing that again any time soon. I like Inovelli, and I hope they make it past their struggles and I really hope they grow and flourish - but at this point in time for me, manufacturer stabilty was a consideration.

4 Likes

I have a set of as yet unopened zigbee blue switches for a client's new build. Have not checked the serial#'s yet though :crossed_fingers:. I hope Inovelli survives too.. the staff seem like really good people. The Red and Black Switches I've installed have been working well for 2 years at least no complaints so far.. I did have some issues with their bulbs though.. but a firmware update resolved most of it.

2 Likes

In terms of making a decision - why not purchase a single Zooz switch/dimmer and see how that works out? Worst case you're out the cost of a switch but have gained useful knowledge/experience. Just make sure you have a strong enough mesh or install it near the hub.

1 Like