Is there a way to see a devices z-wave signal?

I have a z-wave device that works sometimes is there a way to see the signal strength the device is getting? I suspect the signal is not the best at it's location. If that is the case would any zwave repeater work?

It's a Aeotec WallMote.

Settings / Z-Wave Details

It's the LWR RSSI value.

1 Like

ok mine says

PER: 3, RTT Avg: 34ms, LWR RSSI: 14dB
Neighbors: 2, Route Changes: 1

Is that good or bad?

Thanks!

BTW how do i know if i already have a repeater?

The LWR RSSI is OK. Generally >10 dB is desired. Positive # good, negative bad.

In the simplest, but not 100% technically correct, terms - any zwave device that is battery powered is not a repeater, and all others are.

The below is from the Z-wave manual:

3 Likes

I am starting to doubt that the PER displayed on the zwave details is actually a "rate", I think it is just the total number of errors. I have seen it be higher than 10.

1 Like

Truthfully, I don't know. I just ripped this from one of the manuals from the Silabs site. Maybe their info is outdated? That wouldn't surprise me either.

That said, my devices that work correctly seem to follow this chart fairly well.

Is the z-wave network graph accurate? I know it says beta but i bought a z-wave repeater which shows up in the graph as a blue dot with a line going directly to my hub.

I tired putting the repeater halfway between the hub and the wallmote but they do not connect to each other they both still show a line of direct connection to the hub even after a reboot.

Is the wallmote device having some sort of an issue that you think it needs to use the repeater? How long has the repeater been in place? The wallmote wont try to re-route unless it gets a failure, otherwise it will keep using the route it has.

Yes sometimes it works sometimes it don't. I did not know it has to get a error to re-route.

You can also do a repair on just that device to try and make it find a new route but not an option on battery devices