Is there a way to get my GE window AC into Hubitat directly?

Some google searches haven't produced results so we're posting here to see if there's a way to get our GE AC unit into hubitat. It has an app - "Comfort - GE Appliances" available, but I'm not familiar at all with API stuff and what's available. The AC unit works fine with Alexa so I'm guessing it has remote control or hub capabilities. Where is the best place to start trying to look for custom drivers or such? Anyone have some pointers? Home Assistant detects it as a homekit device and works just fine - but I'm trying to use hubitat for everything... my home assistant is just a hyper-v virtual appliance so no zwave or zigbee support.

You can contact GE to see if there is an official developer API. Otherwise, you can reverse engineer the communication between their app and their cloud and mimic that in an app in HE or home assistant.

The other option is to look into if issuing commands to Alexa from Hubitat is possible. If it is you can do it that way. Some people @SmartHomePrimer use a Google speaker to issue commands to their Echo speakers. Then even though it's not all inside HE it appears to be.

3 Likes

Along the lines indicated by @codahq, you may even be able to use @tonesto7's app, "Echo Speaks", to issue commands via Alexa to your GE window AC.

1 Like

If you can control the device with Alexa routines then yes you can use Echo Speaks

2 Likes

Virtual contact sensors enabling Alexa routines would work as well.

1 Like

Opposite actually. I use Alexa to trigger virtual switches. The switches trigger rules. The rules send the command directly to Google Assistant (silently) to control the device.

This is how I’m controlling my cloud-based Delta VoiceIQ module for my faucet. It lets me say the commands the way I want to say them, instead of having to say “Ask Delta“ or “Ask Delta Faucet” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So I would look at setting up google assistant relay because that will let you control a lot of cloud-based devices

1 Like

Close enough. I knew you were doing a thing with a thing that made another thing go. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

3 Likes

I can already control the AC with Alexa - I'm looking for a touch interface now, with hubitat.

IFTTT?

By this I assume you mean create an item on a Dashboard? This is exactly what you can do by using a combination of a virtual thermostat (or virtual switches), Rule Machine, and Echo Speaks.

With a cheap 15.00 RM Mini3 a forum member built a direct integration into HE

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.