Is there a way to change a z-wave mains-powered device's parameters on the fly?

But, yeah, now that you mention it.
If the switch would be set to be off when power is restored, I could turn it on from the hub. It wouldn't have to be quick. I'd just have to make sure the switch was eventually turned on. There are probably ways (apps) in Hubitat to make sure a device reacts to a signal.

Yes you can do an RM on a repeat loop and just keep trying until it turns on, then break the loop.

But you cannot back out now, I already made and tested the driver for the ZEN04.

When you run this new command it ONLY sends the parameter to the device, it does not ask for a reply, and it does not update the preferences drop down for that parameter. So the dropdown for that setting will not match the actual setting anymore. So if you do a Configure afterwards it will set it back how you have it in the dropdown. I imagine you have the default set in the dropdown and when you use the command you are just temporarily changing it.

I will do a little sample in RM so you can see how it looks.

2 Likes

Thanks. I'll check it out on one of my boxed Zen04's tomorrow.

So you want to Create Custom Action, and you add 3 number parameters. They go in the same order as shown on the device page. Parameter Number, value, size. The size is documented in the mfg docs, usually it is size of 1, for the Auto-On the size is 4 because it accepts a huge value that equates to about 45 days :man_shrugging:.

So here I would be setting the Auto-On to 60 minutes

Running it with debug logging on I get this:

Can confirm it got set with Refresh Params command on device page:

1 Like

I know you said you didn’t want to rely on the mesh. However I want to point you to the following in case you wanted to try something like it. I found it the other day when looking at deals.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/works-with-hubitat/products/diy-smart-power-outage-monitoring-kit

You could then use it as an input to decide when to run some rules.

Just a thought.

1 Like

I've got several Zen16 and 17's that aren't being used yet, plus an Ecolink contact sensor, which also would do the trick. So, in this scenario, power would return,whether generator or utility, plugs would remain off (but not go auto-on), the battery-backed Hub would send signals to the plugs, perhaps repeatedly while the mesh, inactive for perhaps several hours, would re-establish.

In my original scenario, the plugs would turn on themselves in (an adjustable) 1-5 minutes or so. If load was to be shed prior to generator shutdown, signals would be sent on the mesh that hopefully had restored itself, and all the load would be shed within a minute, since the plugs would turn themselves on again. That might require a round of repeated signaling if they all didn't get the message, again, because of the auto on. If it was desired to shut off a plug, not a regular occurrence, the parameter could be changed, action performed, and then parameter restored after completion.

All this would be to save the generator from running non-stop during an extended outage where no one is home to shut it down. It would run until it either runs out of oil or propane (in a 1000 gallon tank). It's not as clean as using the transfer switch, but the generator company hasn't made that easy. It's been done, Hubitat has control of my 13kw Generac ,but that approach is probably beyond my capabilities.

I'll try it later this AM when I'm more awake. But, talking it through, I'd probably want a fully functioning mesh to shed load before shutdown. But if it never gets fully established, like for the more far flung items like the refrigerator, it might never go on.

I've got a whole house power monitor coming in the mail, so maybe, if positioned near the hub, it could reliably give me an idea of house power use before shutdown. It's my impression that minimizing load for shutdown isn't as critical as startup, but you still don't want load connected, especially critical stuff, while the electric supply decays upon generator shutdown.

I got it to work.
I'm pretty new to the RM world though.
I made a virtual switch and kicked off the rule from a dashboard.

1 Like

Cool, are you using a community driver for the ZEN15 I could modify? Otherwise I think there is at least one floating around we could use.

No, I am using the built-in Zen Power Switch Driver.

Also, I put a virtual switch on my dashboard where On changes changes auto-on to disabled, and Off restores it to 1 minute by running the Config command.

Maybe I will just take a stab at the ZEN15 on my driver, I will look up the specs for it. It cannot be too different from the ZEN04

For laughs a while ago I tried the Zen15 driver on the Zen04, with no joy. But that's not what you're doing.

I can see this parameter change on the fly thing being help in other cases. In my searches I came across a guy who wanted to dim the led in his zooz switch overnight because of brightness concerns, and if I recall, was basically told that it wasn't possible so he gave up.

The Zooz web site references a custom device handler for SmartThings, if that helps.
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/35-how-to-access-advanced-settings-for-my-zen15-power-switch-on-smartthings/

Trying to follow. I understand the contacts for load shed before start up but confused on what device is telling the gen to start and stop, and if no transfer switch how do you prevent back feed to grid. If you have newer appliances, unplug them for a bit and then check how long it takes for them to load up after you plug them in. Unlike pumps and heaters, these devices may take a bit before they recover on power up. Same with a gas furnace, load up will be delayed.

1 Like

My approach is quite lame compared to yours, lol. My thinking is: power lost, generator starts and transfers, runs for a time, hub sheds load via plugs and switches, battery-backed hub opens battery-backed Zen16 or 17 relay which opens wire to high heat sensor on gen (just about the only non-latching alarm) stopping gen, gen rests for a time, hub closes relay, gen restarts, load is minimized at startup, load comes back after gen runs a while, repeat cycle if utility comes back, transfer back is automatic.

Weak point is mesh, I feel. Worrying about the gen battery going low is another. Otherwise, monitoring temperature around the house and running the generator only when necessary would extend down periods. The stupid drain on the battery by the gen panel and its wifi will flatten in what, 2 days max? And then multiple restarts can't be good for the battery charge. So I guess battery charge could be monitored somehow (I have a Shelly Uni on order, but who knows).

Timed starts might be best, but sucking down the propane just to keep the generator battery charged irks me. I know you've got some big-a$$ rechargeable battery pack involved and realize you've got Starlink going too, but that's big bucks too, and would it basically be a UPS on the T1 line out to the gen controller?

I haven't done any simulated long term power outages. I'd have to wait until the wife takes a trip, lol.

edit: On the slow starting appliances, that's okay, I guess, because the idea is that the generator should start up with ideally no load, and with a delay relay or hub arrangement, they'd only start after a minute or two, after the generator has started and stabilized.

I think you can get to a point where that will work.

1. Let the gen start on power loss.
  2. Confirm primary devices have recovered from power interruption
  3. Prepare to shut gen down by turning off significant loads.
  4. Confirm loads are off and shut gen down for your set interval.
  5. When the interval is done - turn the gen back on.
  6. Run for a set interval - like maybe an hour.
  7. Repeat when it's time to shut gen off again.

My recommendation is don't get too greedy with an off period. A 3-hour off - 1 hour on will cut propane use down by 75%. You can add some environmental sensors to cause an alert and shorten your off period, but I would not use them to control the off period. Maybe set up to 6-8 hours off in warmer weather. What's the location? How often does power go out for more then 24 hours?

Also, your off switch needs to reset on power loss. Make your control fail save so the gen will start back up if you lose hub/control power. You didn't want your offline control to continue to hold the gen off, so make sure your relay holding the gen off opens on power loss and resets to off state on power up. On top of that, my hub turns off my gen control rules on hub power up so I can address what happened and then turn the control back on. You don't want your gen quickly cycling on/off due to a control issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the excellent tips. You've given me a lot to think about.

I'm east of Albany, NY. We're in a heavily wooded area. The utility line clearance crews just came through, so that's a plus. I don't want to wish for it, but we're about due. This 'system' would really only come into play if we were away in winter, otherwise I would just turn the generator off.

Excellent advice about making the control fail safe.

@jtp10181 Would it be possible for you to add this ability to set parameters to your Zooz Zen Dimmer Advanced driver? I need dimmer switches that can have their default "custom brightness when turned on" parameter set through RM without having the light powered on. I currently own several Zen74 switches. I believe this setting is parameter 18. Having this ability would save me from having to replace all of these switches! Since this would save me money, I'd love to be able to tip!

Sure, I am working on updates for the plugs driver right now, I will add it to the switch driver as well. I want to make it so the "size" is optional and will use the info already stored in the driver for the size for the official driver.

Also, depending on what you are trying to do, what I have done is use Room Lighting to setup different light levels per mode, then I set the default level for the light somewhere close to the lowest I have set in RL. Then if the light is turned on manually via the switch, RL will see that and adjust it to the proper brightness depending on the mode. It is pretty quick so hardly noticeable.

2 Likes