Is there a way for the whole family to see the last time a button was pushed?

I'm not a dashboard expert - don't even use them - but if you just want to display the value on a tile why wouldn't you just use the attribute field from that switch on a tile, and read in the attribute directly without all that extra variable manipulation?

Lol, EVENTUALLY, I’m going to leave the 4 button hue out there. 1=pee, 2=poop,3=both,4=mushy poop. Once I get a good understanding of rule machine, I want to actually understand what I did

1 Like

I dont think there is a usable attribute from a button device. Just a bunch of booleans and a "last updated" attribute. But LastUpdated could mean alot of different things have happened. With a variable you can set it to exactly what you want...and also set it by other means (like if the button isnt nearby you can change it right from the dashboard)

I also meant this INSTEAD of a virtual switch. Cause really he doesnt care about "on/off" just the "Last time dog was walked"

Also, you dont have to waste 4 buttons. Some buttons support "Held" and "Double Tapped".

But I'm imaging a 4-button switch with little pictures of dogs pee'ing and poop'ing on the buttons LOL!!!

Good point.

There is if he uses the modified virtual switch Andy posted screenshots from above. That is what I was referencing. I guess I assumed he was going to use that driver.

Without that modified driver, though, you are right. I get it now. :slight_smile:

That’s only 3, what about “mushy poo?’” :joy:

1 Like

Another very simple way of notifying the family is to have RM simply use a cancellable delayed notification.

Trigger:
Button Pushed

Actions:
Cancel Delayed Actions
Delay 4 hours (cancellable)
Notify Everyone "Someone needs to take the dog out"

This way, if the button is not pressed every 4 hours, everyone gets reminded. Of course, one could easily add some conditions around time of day, so everyone does not get woken up in the middle of the night.

1 Like

I am trying to do something similar. I am trying to create a breastfeeding timer for my wife. I just want to be able to hit the button start a timer hit the button again and it stops. And be able to go back and see what time it started and how long it lasted. Would the steps be the same? Also I'm struggling finding "create new connector"