Is there a solution that triggers an automation when the car key turns on

No, It wouldnot, Basically it operates out of WiFi and when it is near your house, or your wifi, your presence will be registered. Then , it just a interrupt sensor running on esp-01, essentially a low pin count version of esp8266, which will give a reading of the ampere .Which more than sufficient to detect the ignition.

2 Likes

Sorry. I was thinking of his Mona Lisa solution which is zigbee.

1 Like

Hmmm.... I wonder if a contact sensor placed across (as opposed to in line with)the battery feed to the starter motor would trip? Starters are a couple of hundred amps and will create a field. It may not be large enough or long enough but it would be easy to test and if worked would absolutely not be a vehicle system modification.

Or perhaps a Sage doorbell (Zigbee) sensor could be placed across the starter relay/solenoid terminals. That way the signal would only be sent when the starter solenoid was in the "start" position. I have used these for pushbutton type DC circuits with voltages from about 10-24VDC. (from ebay...about 5 US$)

Without being too specific as to how I know this, and without looking at the wire diagram for this particular vehicle, I don't think people should be advocating tying into things that they don't know about.

Most cars built in the last decade or more have a computer running the starter, connected to many ignition power wires and to literally everything in the car. The ignition key doesn't really do anything anymore, it is more of a request to the computer. It doesn't take much to burn out a $600 to $1000 computer, plus the labor to diagnose, install, flash the software, and so on. I have seen some cars where you have to reflash and reinitialize the whole car, and it can take literally 24 hours to do the whole process.

I have worked on cars starting in the early-mid 2000 era that really don't even have fuses or relays anymore, they rely on "smart junction boxes" which is just a sealed electronic black box with a bunch of chips inside. It is supposed to protect itself (and the vehicle) against short circuits, but it isn't always perfect.

I don't care what you put in the cigarette lighter (power outlet is the politically correct term now) or on the battery (please use a fuse!) but stay away from everything else unless you really have a good grasp of electronics and CAN bus systems in modern automobiles. Inductive pickup of the starter cable might be feasible, in fact, many cars already have such a sensor for charging system control, but there are probably cheaper, easier, and better ways to accomplish this.

2 Likes