Is there a solution that triggers an automation when the car key turns on

Like during the “ding ding” before start. I’d like my garage to open when I turn the key. 2007 Lexus ES, if that matters

You’re prob not going to find something out of the box that does this, but with a little creativity i dont see why you cant get very close to this.

If you added an open/close sensor to the driver door and an accelerometer under the break petal...
When you press the break petal as you turn the key you'ld trigger:
If break petal acceleration changes to active and driver door was opened in the last 5 mins and driver door was closed in the last 5 mins then open the garage door.
It should work like a champ w/ very few (if any) false positives.

I’d also highly recommend that you have repeating devices (zigbee/zwave) in the garage to ensure the sensors trigger and rejoin w/o issue.

2 Likes

You might find this helpful. Two options: (1) a ceiling-mounted ultrasonic sensor to detect car is in a garage parking spot (not really what you're asking); and (2) an xbee device plugged into the USB port (a lot closer).

Good luck.....

I like the thought of having a presence sensor of some sort connected to a circuit in the car switched on/off by the ignition key as a safety feature, because the garage door will open itself whenever you start the car. Makes it difficult to gas yourself out by running the car with the door closed (as long as the power is on to open the door).....

1 Like

Seems an easy way would be a zigbee/zwave sensor that plugs into you lighter

A simple 12v relay and a contact sensor. The coil side would be connected to switched 12v power - like the power port. The contact side would connect to the pins on the sensor where the reed switch normally does. You would get a open/closed event when the car started/stopped.

The contact sensor could be battery powered as normal or you can take it up a notch and run a rechargeable battery system off the 12v line.

1 Like

I'd suggest putting a sensor on the car door if you want this functionality. It seems easier than tapping into something related to the ignition switch, and it's probably safer to have the garage door open before you turn the key.

I don't what the garage door opening up if I just need to grab something out of the car.

I wouldn't suggest trying to mess with the ignition switch. There are plenty of 12v feeds that turn on and off with the ACC setting. The 12v power outlet being the most accessible.

2 Likes

Depending on the device this could create an issue with your mesh.

If you have a mains/line powered device (which would be a repeater then most likely), having it off, or "not present" could create problems with others device trying to route through it. I would use battery powered options, or make sure the device is not a repeating device.

Digging @sidjohn1's option until the break pedal accelerometer gets in the way of the breaking function :scream: lol

Well you’ll really be getting some good acceleration readings if that happens. :innocent: On a more serious note if you do decide to add sensors to your car make sure that are securely installed so that they don’t become projectiles in a crash or interfere with the safety of the vehicle.

2 Likes

Doesn't the 2007 Lexus ES have homelink?

I do....

Get it setup, I love mine :slight_smile:

I got it already. Isn’t it just an opener and closed button?

Yes, I assumed that might be enough but I guess not. I can think of no reliable way (i.e. that can't be falsely) except tapping into the cars electrical system.

1 Like

Thank you

Any current sensor , linked with the ignition line and @ogiewon 's ST_anything concoction, You can detect the ignition start. Also , you can detect the presense of your Car in your home to trigger other automation.

Caution: This needs lot of tinkering in and out of your car. The Electronic intelligence needed will be very limited as @ogiewon already extensively covered.

Big clunky cigarette lighter adapter, the kind that radion shack used to sell.
Most had automotive glass fuse in nose, I recommend a very light one.
MCT-340 SMA door and window sensor board, very small relay.
Battery power, no repeater, small hack from relay to board to replace magnet.
Hot glue, RM, trial and error.
My thoughts.

Wouldn't that cause mesh issues? I believe that would be constantly adding/removing a repeater to your mesh... not good

1 Like

I'm not understanding. I thought it was Arduino based - so it shouldn't affect either the zigbee or the z-wave mesh?

1 Like