Is there a best way to diagnose lights not turning off

I'm a recent transplant to Hubitat from Smartthings. I've got 80 dimmers, switches, plugs and lights controlled by Hubitat. All but the lights and locks are Ge/Jasco devices. The lights (8) are Hue. Since switching to Hubitat I've also added two z-wave extenders from Aeotec (range Extender 6). Although not all the lights are on every evening I do turn off 33 combination lights, locks, plugs, dimmer and switches when I go to bed. Not all the lights turn off. The same list consistently turns on every sunset.

The problem I'm having is two-fold. I'm at a loss on how to further diagnose why some lights turn off and some don't. What is difficult is it is not always the same lights that stay on. The second thing is this group of lights (they are set up as a group) can take up to four minutes to turn off. I'd like to figure out why it can take so much longer than the same lights turning of under Smartthings? Actually, under Smartthings I had the remainder of all of the lights turn off every evening. Because of this inconsistent turn off I've not wanted to add to the burden of Hubitat until this is resolved.

Since you've added everything did you do a zwave repair? I'd Do one even if you did one last week. Wait a day or so. Takes a bit to get everything straight.

Yes. I've done a number of repairs. I've also excluded the most problematic devices and did a new inclusion. I did the repair after the re-inclusions.

@srwhite might be able to give you some input on that then. Zwave is difficult.

Just to clarify, you’ve got Zwave dimmers and 8 x hue lights and it’s only the x numbers of dimmers not all being controlled as you’d like ?

To be exact, I've got a mix of 33 z-wave devices consisting of dimmers, switches, and plugs in addition I'm controlling 8 hue bulbs. This is the first scene I'm trying to control with Hubitat. All lights turn on correctly. However, when I trigger the setting for all to turn off I get a few z-wave devices that fail to turn off.

I'm looking for ways to diagnose the problem now that I have re-included the devices that have not typically turned off and have done a z-wave repair.

Once I can make this system reliable I want to add the remaining 47 devices.

1 Like

What driver are you using for the GE devices? I'm finding the community drivers to have a few issues but they support double taps. The OOB drivers don't support double taps, have also had a few issues but have mostly been fixed to be stable at setting level and switching at least. Maybe consider trying the OOB drivers for a spell if you are using the community ones.

First off l hate Z-Wave. Now that I’ve got that out of the way, what you are likely facing is a repeating device that’s probably not passing messages reliably.

This is exacerbated by trying to control lock in the same group as other devices. Locks require devices that support beaming which is a store-and-forward method that battery powered devices use to hold message until they check in and pick them up. As I said there may be a flakey Z-Wave Device somewhere. Are you running any Z devices with energy reporting by chance?

I would separate locks from all other automations. You can use a RM rule to wait 1 minute and lock the doors which should be enough time for your other automations to complete. This is exactly what I have done and have had no issues since.

1 Like

Thanks, I've got four locks and I'll separate them and see how that works out. There are no other unpowered devices.

I've got too many z-wave devices to replace all at once. Do you like any particular Zigbee dimmers and switches?

I'm using the generic drivers. What and where do I find the OOB drivers?

OOB = Out Of Box drivers. They are the native ones that come installed on the Hubitat.