Is The Ring intergration local or internet dependent?

Can someone tell me if the ring intergration is dependent on the internet been using HSM as my alarm system, had to go to a funeral in NC for a couple of days and had some issues not HSM's fault but my wife won't believe what i'm telling her.

I've moved over all of our routines from RM to webcore, I use several different ways to detect presence but for my daughter one got stuck while she was at work and HSM wouldn't arm unless I fixed it so it was showing her not present. wasn't near a computer so i couldn't do it until we got back to the hotel later that night. Well needles to say my wife WAS NOT HAPPY she wants our house covered whenever no one is in it.

So she has said I need to find a dedicated system for us and she doesn't care is if works with HE but I have to have HE intergration because i'm not trying to have to control a bunch of apps i know 2 apps isnt a lot but i want my house talking together and with IFTTT pulling that paid BS i'm left with few options.

So my question is, is the ring integration local or does it have to have a constant internet connection to talk to he if I read correctly it uses api calls. And my second question is can ring interrupt this integration and stop it from working thx for any answers provided as usual.

Yes Ring requires Internet
Yes Amazon can rip/replace/change aka BREAK the integration anytime. They are not integrator friendly.

1 Like

"The" Ring integration that you speak of isn't official on either the Ring or Hubitat sides (the original developer left and I know someone re-released the open-sourced code, but I'm not sure to what extent it's still developed or unofficially supported by anyone), just to add to the warning above that things could break at any time. :slight_smile:

For the particular problem you encountered, I can think of a couple solutions if this doesn't work well for you. Since I haven't found a single presence solution that always works reliably for me 100% of the time, I combine at least two different methods into one "virtual" presence device. This virtual device is then the one I use in any automation that uses presence. For me, this virtual device for me is a combination switch/presence sensor driver from user ogiewon, so I can easily change the presence status manually just by manipulating a switch. Even with only one presence method, in your case, I think this still may have saved you by being able to manually change the state from the device. (If you're curious, the other solution I use is HomeKit/HomeBridge, where I have Home turn on this switch when I arrive and turn it off when I leave. This also only works most of the time. Together, one of them is usually right. I "combine" them with a simple rule, though there are also apps dedicated to this purpose.)

The second idea: you could use a dedicated security system, as it appears your wife may want. You may still be able to integrate this into Hubitat, though I see that's not a strict requirement. Most Konnected.io products are designed to tie these into a hub like ST or Hubitat, though their flagship product is intended to replace the system rather than co-exist. Their new Interface module, which you can add to that panel, would allow you to keep both and might be a what you want here. There are also similar open community solutions (I think the original Konnected project originated as such and you can probably find those docs somewhere, or there are low-tech methods like connecting the wired sensors to "Z" device sensors you can already integrate into Hubitat like the famed Ecolink contact sensors).

But if it were me, I'd probably start with adding virtual presence sensors and a Hubitat Dashboard that would allow you to manually manipulate the status from anywhere should something fail. :slight_smile: (And I'd probably keep doing that regardless of what else you do.)

Thank you both for the responses, How I have it set up now is I use the presence governor app wich has worked fine for about 13 months now to tie it all together I was using smarthings keyfobs, life360 with the refresh app and the Hubitat presence the last wasn't reliable so i went to using Ifttt, when i switched over to that it became rock solid, and I havn't had a problem in 18 mos what i believe happened is that when Ifttt went paid all my applets stopped working from what i can tell and it couldn't have happened at the worst time as i said me and my wife was out of town when they stopped my applets my daughters governor got stuck because i require all 3 to be listed as not prsent to change the state because she has an iphone that goes to sleep doing the night so I couldn't use the Iphone wife sensor. So I couldn't switch her switch to not present unless i was at a computer. I tried making a switch to do it but i couldn't figure how to do that didn't seem to give me that option.

Nevermind I'm really being slow witted lately, and impatient I see how i can do it now I can just run a custom action. DUH!

For security I really recommend a dedicated panel. I use the Honeywell Vista 21ip and an Envisalink 4 to tie it into HE. It has a backup cellular connection and uses IP so internet issues will still keep the home safe. 4 wires to connect to the panel and can monitor wireless zones and import them into Hubitat as devices to trigger automations off of. I can arm and disarm with my automations or the alarm system app if one of them fails for whatever reason. Remote monitoring and home automation for about 27 bucks a month. Way better than going with something like ADT and have full control over what devices I have or want to add. I should also add that I knew absolutely nothing about alarm systems when I started and spent quite a bit of time overthinking it about how it was all going to work in the end. They send you a booklet telling you how to program everything. That along with a couple youtube videos and it was pretty easy. Having the home sensors pre-wired made it a little easier for me to pull the trigger since it was a lot cheaper to put in the alarm and import the sensors than to buy 40 more zwave/zigbee devices for all the doors and windows.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.