Is Switching from ST to Hubitat Going to Help Me?

x5 for me too. My zigbee mesh is far stronger and faster with generally much bettery battery life. My Iris v2 motion sensors (and sylvania) are some of the rockstars of my setup. I did end up adding some xbees(search on this forum) which then let me actually see my zigbee network and what was going on. IF I could easily switch out my zwave for zigbee I would. But most dimmer switches are zwave and lots of other zwave devices. So for now I'll have both. I've been moving away from those dimmer switches and using the Lutron Caseta/RA2 stuff. I'd be VERY happy if I just ended up with Zigbee/Lutron and no zwave some day.

All that being said...that's for MY HOUSE. No idea why my zwave just sucks so bad. Others on here clearly have the exact opposite experiences. Zigbee doesn't work for them but zwave does. RF frequencies in a house with other electronics and construction is simply something you're going to have to find out in YOUR house.

Pitching more wood onto the bonfire:

My Z-Wave AND Zigbee networks both work great.

Range differences in Z-wave and Zigbee are based more on environment and design limitations than frequency.

The frequency (in this case) has almost nothing to do with the range limitations of either protocol.

I could write a whole bunch of reasons why, but unless you really want to be bored, just trust me on this.

For me, I find that I like Zigbee battery devices more than Z-wave battery devices, and find that the Z-wave wired devices work just great for me, but I have models of both wired and battery in both protocols, and with considered mesh design (implementation really) they both work well.

S.

I for one personally tested the range differences between the frequencies when I was searching for a contact sensor for my mailbox which is about 150ft away from my house and a neighbors house is partially blocking line of sight.

I already had both zigbee and zwave repeaters in a top socket and bottom socket of the furthest outlet towards the outside of my house.

The Zigbee contact sensor stop receiving communication about half the distance to the mailbox (about 25ft shorter than my wifi range).

I currently have a Aeotec Zwave contact sensor on the mailbox that has never missed communication once.

But YMMV depending on environments

I don't doubt your test or results!

My point really is that it's not the Frequency per se that causes this, but environment, and RX/TX design.

After all, both 908MHz and 2.4GHz can reach orbit and still be relayed by satellites back down. Environment (as you mention) is really the key here.

S.