Is new update .121 working?

I had a water leak sensor drop off again this morning... but only one. I replaced it. If the new device stays connected then maybe that device is just a little wonky.

Took the plunge so far so good, I have one device that is sluggish a Hue motion but it seams to be holding on and all the others are working so far.

ya know, I need to figure out how to use that!!

When you say a leak sensor dropped off, how do you define that? I ask because I had a couple sensors stop reporting yesterday around noon (as noted by Device Activity Check), but they responded to a simple Refresh on their device page and reported battery and temp. I'm going to wait and see if they stay awake over the next few days. Just curious if yours were completely non-responsive. Mine are both SmartThings/Centralite sensors.

Mine is a SmartThings. They are set to report temperature and battery as well and they stopped. Honestly I didn't even think about clicking refresh. They have never requires a refresh before. If it drops again I will give that a shot.

Everything else is still reporting though.

1 Like

Well I spoke too soon. My z-wave devices stopped reporting shortly after 1:20pm. z-wave mesh appears healthy but is completely non responsive. C7 is chugging along just fine. C8 - useless. A reboot (no power down) restores function.

Yeah, what I'm not sure about is whether their lack of battery/temp reporting would also mean they won't report a leak. I'm wondering if using a Refresh on the Device page is kind of cheating, :slight_smile: And I do want/need them to report battery so I can monitor that, so even if they are still sort of there, stopping reporting isn't a state I want to leave them in.

I've added a Refresh in Device Check to run for one of the sensors when it does its check, and the other I'm not adding a refresh. Curious to see if the one not reporting battery/temps that doesn't get a refresh kicks in again on its own or is really toast once it stops, even if a Refresh could wake it up.

One way to find out!

1 Like

On it! Huge bag of water should arrive at your house via FedEx tomorrow. All you have to do is dump it on one of your sensors... :wink: :smiley:

I'm having all kinds of ZigBee issues. A Tuya 4 in 1 dropped off (quite a while ago and just noticed) and took a good amount of time and effort to get it back on again after removing and resetting it multiple times. A couple of my Sengled contact sensors started working intermittently. I started removing any device that started acting up, then reset and re-paired them. This is getting extremely tedious and I'm reaching the point of biting the bullet and setting up my old C-7 again. I have no confidence in ZigBee on this C-8 any more and I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to fix with firmware updates or if there is a fundamental design flaw.

Given that the FW releases since the C8 initial release have (for most users) improved the performance and stability of Zigbee, I think we're likely to continue to have a better situation w/future releases. Can't say when it will reach the point where it covers your issues, of course. Unfortunately not good times for some people.

1 Like

I have my C-8 but have not installed it yet. Under the topic “Known issues in Release 2.3.5 .121” it only mentions issues in .118. Is that someone just not updating the text or does it mean there aren’t any solutions they have come up with yet?

If you have no pressing need to migrate you might want to give it a bit, though in my opinion we might seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

On the zigbee side at least I think there have been incremental improvements and at least in my case the issues seem behind me. But there are still folks reporting issues with .121 and there are still a couple of nagging zwave issues out there - though folks in the community may have isolated that one to a PoE problem. Time will tell.

I think they just forgot to update the release number.

@bravenel

1 Like

a POE problem?

Yeah folks have experienced-wave issues powering the C8 with a 2.4 amp PoE splitter from a Unifi switch. Seems kind of random but it happened to a number of folks. Reverting to a regular USB brick resolves the issue. Folks are now testing other PoE splitters to see what happens.

Hummm interesting. I'm on POE splitters, but not off a unifi router or switch. I have been having an issue with 1 particular device (well, now as I'm writing this it could be 3 devices. Two Zooz devices and an "old" Intermatic Zwave + outlet switch bastard thing). So far I've been attributing it to some kind of leg in hub mesh as my devices are on a separate hub from my automations.

That seems unlikely unless you’re having some sort of network issue. I have some Zooz Zen77s, Zen34s, and a Zen30. They have been responding faster than ever on my C-8. I migrated my Zigbee from one C-5 but had to manually move ZWP devices from another C-5. There are rules on that C-5 that are now linked to Zigbee and ZWP devices only on the C-8 and I can’t see any difference between those rules, and ones running exclusively on the C-8.

I have been having persistent issues with z-wave since early Feb. Nothing I did fixed the problem. 2 days ago I swapped out the PoE splitter and went back to the stock power supply. I also powered down another nearby C8 that, while it had no paired devices, did have the z-wave radio turned on. I also started rebooting the hub every morning.

Knock on wood I have not had any z-wave issues since. I am going to disable reboots tonight.

4 Likes

I see in .123 that it doesn’t mention anything about Z-Wave or Zigbee known issues it expects to be fixed in the next release. Now an optimist would say that implies these issues have been fixed, while a pessimist could read that to mean, while known, they don’t expect them to be fixed in the next release. Hope to say to the 1/2 full glass, here’s looking at you, kid.