Is me or has Alexa become hard of hearing?

You guys using Alexa, be afraid...be very afraid.

1 Like

Yes, same for me. We have an Echo that, when it's playing music, can't hear "Alexa". Thought it was just mine. The Echo can play music pretty loud, louder than our Dots, and that's when I particularly notice it's loss of hearing.

Everybody that uses Alexa reports this eventually. Must have something to do with them trying to limit false positives. Not sure if it's possible to fix without deleting everything and factory resetting. I did that once long time ago and it seemed to help, but that was before I had so much setup with it.

Just had to fix all my routines the other day in order to fix Harmony. Hate that I can't setup or repair the routines via web browser, and cannot back them up. The whole Alexa setup is a fragile thing. You get it working and try not to look at it wrong for fear of it breaking again.

1 Like

Try resetting the voice parameter. Same general complaint here.

BTW, my Alexa has filed for divorce. Says I can't communicate. I found out she was having an affair with my thermostat and their children (plugs and bulbs) are all over the house.

7 Likes

Yes. The thermostat refers to her as "Alive Girl".

On a side note, Google is listening for Alexa phrases and sending notifications in response. This notification comes up every time I say "Alexa, Goodnight". Just tested during the day and it happens same as in the evening.

If true, This is a blantant violation of your privacy!!!!!!! Scream, Holler, Yell. Find out how to turn off this "feature".

!00% repeatable. And I already have devices setup in Google Assistant/Home, so there is no excuse for this.

1 Like

Can confirm that Alexa is becoming "deaf" when music is playing. I glad it is just not me that noticed this.

I've noticed that performance has deteriorated as I have acquired more Alexa devices; having multiple within earshot of each other makes the problem worse. They are supposed to be able to negotiate among themselves to determine which one is closest to the voice but they aren't infallible. Sometimes a command that I've given to a device nearby is being picked up by one farther away (which I can't even hear) so it appears that I am being ignored.

This became especially bad when I got one of the 2nd gen Echo Show devices a few months ago. I suspect its mic placement just isn't as good as the original Echo tower (or even the Spot). Trying to make a video call on the newer Show a foot from my chair would often result in the Spot in the kitchen (about 15 feet away, through a doorway no less) intercepting the command and initiating the call. I solved this problem by changing to different wake words on nearby devices. I just have to remember which ones are Echo, Alexa, and Amazon...

You can setup which speaker is the default speaker in each room. Then when you are in that room and you ask Alexa something, she will lower the speakers in that room to hear what you are saying.

It's not hearing "Alexa".. so the lowering ofvolume doesn't occur. When I do 'shouting like a mad man: "Alexxxxxxa!" '.. and she does hear.. yep, she lowers the volume. But I don't get the blue circle light unless screaming.

Have you force updated your firmware? I found that on my 1st gen Shows and Spots, I had to force update the firmware and then they started listening better.

I sort of cheat. I got rid of my two alexa devices. But I use the Fire Tablet in show mode for bedside (also reading app) and the Fire TV Cube in Living Room. I also use the different names for each device (there are four keywords that can be individually assigned to each Echo/tablet).

1 Like

the same thing has been happening with my google home set up. starting to wonder if they're optimizing software for newer customers in a classic bait and switch.

1 Like

Hate to admit it, but a similar, if not the exact thought (in principle) crossed my mind...

How easy would it be for Amazon to make older Alexa devices "deaf" via a firmware/software update, making you think the device is "broken", indirectly "forcing" you to buy the latest (or put up with the issue)

Mmmm. Conspiracy rulez!

1 Like

I mean....conspiracy? capitalism? same Dif .XD

1 Like

Someone has to pay for Bezos' rockets.

Hmm, maybe Amazon is screwing with us?

I've noticed you don't want anything to close to it. Every time I start screaming at it I look over and my wife has built a wall around it with crap.