Is it the Thermostat or Thermostat Scheduler failing under 2.3.4.153?

Ever since updating from 2.3.4.140 I have found that the Thermostat doesn't follow the schedule set in Thermostat Scheduler app.

In Thermostat Scheduler I can manually select a temperature above my current thermostat temperature and the heater comes on immediately. Similarly, I can reset the temperature to a setting below my current room temperature and the heater goes off immediately. Likewise, I can go to the Thermostat device and set a Heating Setpoint above and below room temperature to get the heater to activate on and off as appropriately. It seems like the Thermostat (a Radio Thermostat CT 32 using the CT 101 driver) works as expected when commanded manually.

My issue, however, is that the Thermostat doesn't follow the schedule set in the Thermostat Scheduler (as it did back when using 2.3.4.140). It is now about 4:15PM and the current room temperature is 68 degrees. I am in the Leave period where the desired temperature setting is 55 degrees, so my heater is off as expected. All is good. However, as seen below, at 6:00PM the Thermostat Scheduler is set to increase the room temperature to 65 degrees.

So, here it is about 6:03PM and we see NO change in the scheduled temperature as reported by the Thermostat Device, in the Heat setting of the Thermostat Scheduler, or as the target temperature on the Dashboard. Here are the logs, for what they might be worth:

Clearly, I'm no expert in interpreting these logs, but it looks to me as though the Thermostat Scheduler responded by sending off a temperature change request, and it seems that the Thermostat responded, but FAILED to change the temperature (65) as appropriate to the period.

At Bruce's hint, for kicks at about 6:15PM, I went to the Thermostat Scheduler app and selected the Set Scheduled Temperatures button, the Update button and the Done button. Here are the logs:

Lots of interaction between the app and the device, but no change in the scheduled temperature.

Picture 18

What should I try next?

1 Like

Is this a different problem than your other topic where thermostat issues are also being discussed?

In any case, it seems you have a Radio thermostat, and staff appear to be investigating similar reports of issues with some of these in recent builds (e.g., Rule Machine suddenly having problems with thermostat - #6 by bravenel). I suspect your issue may be related, so waiting for this fix or, for the time being, rolling back to a build where this worked for you for might be your best bet.

No, this is the same problem I've struggled with since upgrading from 2.3.4.140 and discussed in two other threads. Yes, this seems very much like the issue @random describes except for the fact that it occurs with RM for him and Thermostat Scheduler for me. The clue might be that we are both using Radio Thermostats and we have both tried the RT driver as well as the Generic driver. Very strange that this broke after 2.3.4.140 for me, and maybe for also him after a similar upgrade (that he doesn't mention). Must be something pretty subtle! I wish the Hubitat team good luck with what is apparently a bit of a mystery to them as well. Thanks for jumping in and connecting these two cases as I didn't see @random post.

@bravenel suggested on earlier thread that this was most certainly a Thermostat problem, not a Thermostat Scheduler problem. If he is correct, then I wondered what would happen if I just created a RM rule to turn on and off the Thermostat. Here is what I wrote to turn the Thermostat on at 6:10PM:

Picture 20

And, here is what is logged by the Thermostat:

As was the case when the Thermostat Scheduler was controlling the Thermostat, the correct commands seem to be going to the Thermostat. But, as with the Thermostat Scheduler, nothing happens with the Thermostat itself. Just sits as it was before the RM rule executed.

Not sure if this addresses Bruce's suggestion/request, but I'm certainly confused as to why I get no Thermostat action from this rule. Must still be missing something.

What driver are you using for this thermostat?

Bruce, I am currently using the Radio Thermostat CT101 device (but have previously reverted to the Generic driver without any obvious change in result).

Lots of strange things ocurred this morning. There must be some interactions going on because nothing happened at 6:00AM this morning when the rule above (which was adjusted for 6:00AM vs. 6:00PM) triggered. However, the Thermostat came on at 7:00AM as apparently directed by the Thermostat Scheduler but it didn't set the desired thermostatSetpoint to 66 as it should have.

Please standby -- I am going back to basics -- deleting the Thermostat Scheduler, all my RM rules, rebooting and starting over with just a simple RM rule to set various parameters on the Thermostat. Hopefully, this will ring out any issues with the Thermostat driver (which I will change to the Generic version as part of the testing). Got some time today to explore and will report back.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.