Is Hubitat Elevation a Smartthings Killer

This thread is funny. I don't know if their information about the internal radios is accurate. Maybe it is, but then as I noticed myself right away, and as @bertabcd1234 and others pointed out, the article is full of inaccurate statements, like not being able to control anything IP based without an internet connection.

Sometimes people that review a lot of different devices quickly will get a number of things wrong, and some don't fact check. Or they'll mix up what they know about one product with another unintentionally. Best to leave them a comment and let them know. The majority of authors really do want to be accurate and appreciate corrections.

Anyway, having the radios internal might allow more control over the power output. Thats one speculation based on comments from people complaining about the radios and suggesting they are less powerful than SmartThings radios. However @somel, I would not be concerned that you bought a white elephant. That's not what these guys are about. They wouldn't want that for themselves either, so I wouldn't expect it to be forced on their customers. That's a big company move you should not expect to see from Hubitat unless they are purchased by a big company some day.

My question would be...is the upcoming hub just a form factor change, or are there significant performance enhancements included?

1 Like

Well I just comeback home to this...

So reinstall .116 than moved to
117 than reinitialized all the devices....
Let's see how it holds.
One thing is for sure if it breaks again I'm heading to Ikea as soon it breaks for some IKEA Outlets and try to place them in such a way that only them connect to the radio. And all the Xiaomi devices to them.
This never happened with ST. It was working with the exact same setup for over 20 months.

A little of topic but I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

They’ll help strengthen the mesh, but what you’re showing here is something software related. I’m not pointing my finger at anything in particular, but I’ve had custom drivers and software connections by IP cause lockups that also affected the Zigbee network.

If you’re running custom code on the hub or are connected to custom code on other computers connected by IP, I’d strongly suggest you start your troubleshooting there first

The only custom app that I'm running is Device Watchdog by @bptworld and Netatmo connect (has given me zero errors)
The only custom drivers i'm using are the Xiaomi drivers.
There is no other external connections outside the hub except for Chromecast integration (Native) and Philips HUE (Native).

Not a hub question but one on the upcoming smartphone app... will it have built in presence capability? :grinning:

@ACKmySYN
That has always been the plan.

Andy

1 Like

@Cobra thanks for the info! :blush:

Xiaomi driver are well tested enough to know their very unlikely suspects. Netatmo connect I have no experience with because I don't have their gear. Keep in mind that I had no errors from the recent drop of my Zigbee network hub lock up, but I was testing something in HomeKit I knew to be problematic.

Device Watchdog is fairly new. Have you shared this with Bryan before now? I'm not blaming his code, but I know if there was an unexpected issue he'd want to investigate. Especially if more than one person were reporting the same issue. Again, not suggesting that's the case, but I would eliminate the variables if the issue is persistent.

Is not zigbee is a cloud integration.

The only connected zigbee at the moment are the Xiaomi

Understood. I know Netatmo isn't Zigbee. It's just the possibility of errors in custom code that might have unexpected consequences. We are often the beta testers of custom code. That's just the nature of it a one person operation.

For Device Watchdog, unless you manually press the 'Report Button' it only runs once a day (for about 10 - 30 seconds depending on how many devices). It not an active app or always checking type of thing. So unless the hub broke down at exactly the same time as the app ran, it would be very unlikely that this particular app caused any problems.

:grin:

3 Likes