Is Govee going Local?

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Why not ask @Bob.ma directly, since you’ve linked to his post?

1 Like

I am hopeful they go with a full local API. I have been looking for light strips and other items from them but without local control I passed. I can handle using a mobile device and cloud to configure them but then I want to firewall them off on my IoT network for local access only.

1 Like

Check https://app-h5.govee.com/user-manual/wlan-guide. They adding more devices

Do you have any specific questions? The answer to, “is govee going local?” appears to be, “yes, they announced a local API.”

2 Likes

I don't think my TV/camera 6199 is listed yet. What I'm far more interested in is the wifi grill probe. Who here won't rush out to buy one if that can be locally integrated with Hubitat.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I guess I forgot to ask is the API going to work with Hubitat?

I saw talk of a new local api not to long ago. They also released 2.0 of their cloud api recently as well and that added appliances. It will be interesting to see if they continue to add devices. I did a search for those devices and found most of them have the Pro tag associated with there description.

There is no reason it can't work with Hubitat, but someone will need to code it. Honestly if this is all local and over UDP then I would hope they get the official treatment like Wiz recently got with 2.3.3 firmware.

1 Like

This local connectivity option supports what looks like 40 devices.

The Cloud api support 140 devices, so there is a big gap to fill before it can take over for the cloud integration.

40 is a lot IMHO. I use Govee and Switchbot as one off type devices. Has anybody read or understand their distributed gateway info? Does that play into this as well. I don't recall seeing that in the app before, but I tbh I rarely open it. It smells like Bluetooth mesh from what I see. Maybe as long as you have one with device with Lan control they can all be controlled by lan in the the future. Sounds promising.

Is there anything that needs to happen to enable this local access like a new app or something? I have one of the devices that is supposed to support local api and it isn't showing up for it in the settings.

I think this thread is a little bit early to the party. It looks like this isn't released just yet. I opened up the Govee app and did some digging as one of my devices are supposed to support this. It looks like when Govee released 5.4 of it's app this will be enabled to some and provide documentation for them.

Like any device (or service) that connects to an IP network, if the manufacturer makes an API publicly available, then all that’s needed is someone with the requisite skills to write an integration with Hubitat.

Sometimes that’s one of the staff and it becomes an official integration.

Often, it’s a community developer that does it.

2 Likes

I feel like if Govee is going to do this, than this should become official. It fills many niches and is a huge stack of products.

All I know is that I was able to quickly implement my own support (though for a subset of the capabilities), and customer support was very responsive. The basic interface is generic and doesn't expose call capabilities. And it may be buggy of course.

What version of the Govee Home app do you have. Are you in a beta program?

Running the standard version with the latest update. Not beta.

I am emailing their support staff now. It looks like it may not just be about what Model you have but also harware revision.

I have a early H6052 with hardware version 1.00.01. In their first response they stated that hardware versions 1.00.10 and 1.00.11 will currently work. Waiting to see what they respond with now.

If i can get this to work I may look to see what it would take to add this to my Govee integration. :wink: No promises, but i already have a app and drivers so why not add this to it.

1 Like

@Bob.ma

If you want to take your code and integrate it with the light drivers in Govee Integration for Govee Light, Switches, Plug, and now Appliances let me know. I certainly don't mind others adding future functionality to it.

Just in case anyone is watching this thread, i have integrated local control to enhance the integration in the above thread. feel free to check it out and let me know if it makes things better for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.