Is deactivation and pausing rules equivalent in terms of impact on hub load/performance?

In my ongoing mission to improve hub performance further, I'm disabling some rules. For example, to test their impact on overall hub performance, or as a result of moving some processing to Node-RED but still wanting to maintain the rule rather than delete it off HE completely at this time (you never know, I might want to move the rule processing back for some reason in the future).

So my questions are....

Is disabling the rule (using the red x) the same as pausing the rule? If not what's the difference? And in terms of impact to the hub/load/performance, any difference?

And leaving a rule either paused or deactivated on the hub, is that any worse than actually deleting the rule (again, in terms of hub performance/load) ? I'm assuming it means the hub backup would not be reduced in size as it would if a rule was deleted, but that it would make no difference in hub load/performance.

Thanks for any insights/guidance.

Cheers.

3 Likes

If Iā€™m not mistaken, when a rule is paused you can still see it ā€œrunningā€ in the logs, in terms of looking for rule triggers that have occurred (but no actions being taken of course).

When a rule is disabled, its log output will go to zero, meaning itā€™s no longer even monitoring device events I believe.

So I would think that to be safe, disabling the rule will negate any hub performance impact it might have been having while active. But pausing may not have quite the same effect.

If you turn on logging for a rule, what do you see when itā€™s paused vs. disabled?

2 Likes