Is anyone running Alexa Speaks on a Asustor NAS

I have several Amazon Alexa devices around my home. I originally used Echo Speaks to generate TTS notifications. I never liked having to set up a Heroku account for the Amazon server authentication. When Heroku decided to eliminate free accounts, I deleted my account.

I am planning to purchase a NAS for online storage. The model I am considering is the Asustor AS5202T with 2 drive bays, a 2 gHz dual core CPU, 2 gb RAM (expandable) and 2.5 gb ethernet ports. My home is wired for 2.5 gbe, so I wanted a NAS that supports that speed. Many only support 1 gbe.

Is anyone using an Asustor NAS to run the code needed to generate the tokens for the Amazon server? I know others have done so on Synology NAS. I know the Asustor supports Docker and it can run server software as well, so I am pretty sure it can be done, but any specific advice would be appreciated.

Although I am primarily a Windows user, I have done some work with Linux. I have an older computer on which I installed Linux Mint, but I do not want to leave it on 24/7 due to power consumption. Thus, I am familiar with the Linux file structure, terminal, etc.

If it supports docker you should be good to go. You can use this guide to set it up on docker-compose or portainer: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (and alternates)

You may just need to get portainer running on there first, once you do that its a piece of cake to install in portainer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.