Is an HE7 a zigbee Relay

ie

If I have two HE 7s and I put ALL zigbee on just one HE will the other HE operate as a Relay for the other?

If not - I only have <20 zigbee battery devices to attach to HE - what is a good relay to get for HE?

Thanks

Several people have split their automation according to mesh, running a Zwave HE, and a Zigbee HE (and an automation HE, and a development HE, and a barn/garage HE...). You can link the two either using Hub Mesh (both hubs need to be on the same release, and same subnet) or HubConnect - both work well.

@thebearmay Thanks - that is what I have done :slight_smile:

Zwave (heating system mainly)

Zigbee (Master Control)

Should I disable the unused zwave/zigbee transmitters or leave them on so they work as relays for eachother?

I could be wrong but I don’t believe the other hub can act as a repeater. I would turn that hub off for Zigbee as it will have a different ID and contribute nothing.

1 Like

They’re not contributing to the other mesh when you do it this way so many will argue that it is better to turn off the antenna not being used. On the other hand, it normally doesn’t create a lot of interference either. Your call.

@thebearmay @Kevin

I kinda figured that and have disabled both zwave and zigbee on alternate HEs

Can anyone recommend a Zigbee Relay for HE as ALL my Zigbee devices are battery ones

(excluding the 90 or Hue light bulbs etc that are all under Hue control)

I had some spare IKEA ones from my blinds purchase. I use those, they don’t seem very powerful but they work. I discourage bulb repeaters as they can get turned off.

NB These have a slightly weird form factor so I guess there’s the IKEA outlet as well. Very low cost. Any Zigbee switched socket for example Hive should work too

Note that the hub's Zigbee radio never really gets turned off (at least on the C-3 and C-7 I have sniffed); whatever the Zigbee enable/disable setting does is at a higher level than the PHY layer. Best you can do is set it to a non overlapping channel if you're not using it.

1 Like