Iris v1 - motion sensor battery

How is the battery life on these?

I ended up replacing some with new energizer batteries. Within less then a week it’s reporting I only have 89-94 percent left.

Huh? I thought they had a 2 year battery life on these motion sensors?

I am wondering the same thing. Seems like battery is down to 92%. Was new battery 4/13 (reported 100%)
Looking at activity there seems to be reports every 2 min. Almost 1400 events since new battery. Is this polled or is the device broadcasting on it's own? Seems like a lot of traffic for a detector I have not installed yet. Only testing it daily.

That's how these work, temp and or battery reports every two minutes.
Hubitat doesn't implement any platform based background polling

You can always convert these to run on usb power. It's rather simple to do. In addition to never having to change batteries again, they also perform a smidge faster.

I’m wondering what the life span of these batteries will actually be....

May slowly migrate over to my original idea. Ecolink motion sensors. They have a good 5 year life span.

Yeah, I have a few Ecolink motion sensors. Never had to change a battery in ~3yrs. They're just a wee bit big for my taste.

Sure but you figure at almost 5-10 a battery how soon does it pay for one of those ecolink motion sensors.

I don’t want to have to always keep remembering to swap batteries out.

I have 9 of these around the house now. So that’s going to be or can be around $180 a year in batteries... that’s crazy

Yeah, battery changing is my pet peeve. That's why I converted mine to USB power :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok, then nothing has changed from my Iris set up. Just looked like a lot of traffic. I have 2 V1 contact sensors that still report 25% on battery. These have been in use for over 4 years. The "new" battery I installed in motion detector was from a blister packed V1 contact sensor that had not been opened, also 4 years old. Have ordered new batteries. Hopefully these will last 3-4 years as well.

It is a ridiculous amount of traffic. ..

That’s contact sensors. I’d love to know v1 motion sensor battery life.

You can get them for just over $1 per battery, but word of caution order plenty ahead of time as this seller took 15 days for them to arrive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-Garberiel-CR2-Batteries-3V-Lithium-CR2-CR17355-DLCR2-EL1CR2-Camera-Photo/183728105868?hash=item2ac70c698c:g:HUEAAOSwL1RciKg2

That was probably 3 years as well. Not sure the last level as it would not pair until I installed newer battery. Just found old battery date code 01-14.

If I can get that life span out of these batteries then I’m perfect with that!