Iris Keypad v3

Current draw on this thing isn't consistent, resistor really won't work well...

Fair enough (I obviously hadn't measured it yet). :+1: Thanks!

You really need a buck converter. There are ones out there that go from 5v to 3.3v that are tiny and really cheap. I use these (or something similar) for my ESP8266 and Xbee projects all the time and they have never let me down.

They'll tolerate up to 12v as well, so you could use the POE power directly.

1 Like

Anyways I will be leaving mine as is so I can let you guys know how I get on if you like, it's already been running for 4 days so I am happy to push the boundaries as always in life :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Yes I was initially going to install one of those buck converters that was my first plan as I had a few but this appears to just sit at 5.1v as shown in the driver as opposed to the 6v before so figured i'd cut out the additional step.

If your keypad gets friend and you can't get another one, don't say you weren't warned. :smiley:

1 Like

3 series diodes each dropping 0.6v is a better solution 5-1.8 = 3.2v

1 Like

FYI Iris Keypads batteries V2 uses parallel and V3 uses series.

1 Like

All 4 of them are in series? Or just 2 sets of 2 are in series? @mike.maxwell confirmed that the Keypad runs on 3v not 5v. So, I believe you are mistaken.

FWIW: the raw voltage message from the Iris V3 hardware with 4 fresh AA batteries shows 6V. For all I know it could be running 3V internally.

I also have no idea on the minimum battery voltage before the thing dies. From my experience Centralite's and the Iris V2 give up around or less than 2.5 volts.

You are mistaken. My custom driver for the keypad shows a 5.8 voltage

1 Like

Huge Thank you. and thanks to @anon61068208 for motivating you, if that is in fact how this went down...

1 Like

did you, by chance, get them from alex_sari on ebay?

Yup, I sure did!

Great seller. I've got plenty of good items from him? her?

2 Likes

Not to be a jerk but Mike's says 3. So, why don't you take it up with him, not me. :slight_smile:

The motivation was finally getting to an older firmware device that a customer loaned for the purpose...

2 Likes

Is this a v3?

Nope the Iris v3 keypad looks like this:

is that the latest/best?

I cannot comment to much on them as this is my first and only had it about 1mth now but it works really well so my wife and I are pretty happy with it. I believe V3 is the latest/last model though.