iPhone can't see my Dashboard when I'm away

Using Safari, I navigated to my Dashboard screen. From there I saved it as a bookmark. The Bookmark along with the Hubitat logo display on my screen. I can then tap on the bookmark and it takes me directly to my various Dashboards.....as long as I'm on my home network. When I try to access that same screen when I'm away from the house and relying on cell service, I get the screen depicted below. Can't I access my Hubitat devices from my phone when I'm not home??

From the Dashboard app screen click your dashboard and scroll down to Cloud Link to Dashboard and click that link then bookmark that to use when you are away from home. I'm guessing you had the local IP otherwise, if you don't see the option for Cloud Link to Dashboard you will need to click advanced and allow cloud access to that dashboard. Also using the Hubitat app will make accessing the cloud links that you have allowed easier since you don't have to find the right link, although if you make some dashboards that aren't available via the cloud they will still show up in the cloud connection list which can be confusing.

2 Likes

Done. Will see if that resolves the issue next time I'm out and about. Thanks.

Or just turn the WiFi off on your phone for a moment while you’re at home so that the phone has to connect to your dashboard through the cloud.

1 Like

Now THAT would be a hassle.

I presume you aren't using the Hubitat app for a reason. The app automatically changes from local to cloud.

It was my understanding that the app merely takes the user to a browser, in this case, Safari. Thus I went directly to Safari when I set up the bookmark. Your distinction will have me rethink that arrangement.

The app is an installable app. It includes presence / geofencing and notifications which are quite useful. Available for both iOS and Android.

2 Likes

Use a VPN. I do. No cloud exposure.

I’m also having problems accessing my Dashboards from the iPhone app when I’m away. I can see all of them, so I assume connectivity is okay. But when I select a dashboard, it doesn’t load. I use to be able to access them, but now I haven’t been able to access them for several days. I get the “Loading Layout...” message but it never goes anywhere from there.

This is an issue on both my iPhone and my iPad, so it doesn’t seem to be a device issue.

Any help would be appreciated... As far as I can tell, nothing was changed that would cause it to stop working.

I have app version 1.0.7 (latest) and Hub firmware version 2.1.7.127 (latest)

Interestingly, when I remote in to one of the machines on my network, I am able to use the “Local LAN link to Dashboard” link, but get the same issue when using the “Cloud link to Dashboard” link.

Thanks!
SĂ©bastien

I too, am having the same exact issues as Sébastien. I adopted in November and got all set up with the panels through the iPhone app. I can access my panels remotely for a few days and then it stops at “Loading Layout” at some random point. When I’m back in the home the panels work fine locally on the computer and phone. Once I reboot the controller I’m good again. I thought it had been that I was still making updates to installed apps and dashboards, but I haven’t done any tinkering is days and tend to reboot after I do.

Today, I tried some new things To solve this like quitting the app, logging out and back in on the app, clicking on the four corners icon at the top bar of the app the top me to the web page through Safari on the phone and nothing corrected the problem.

I have been tinkering and have 4 panels but 2 that are regularly used. I have 30 or so devices on each of the two main and am showing images from websites for two tiles that update every 15 minutes, but this was a problem before those images.

I was hoping that the recent firmware update would help, but I’ve see no change.

Thanks for your thoughts.

@rich2

In the Dashboard app, have you enabled ALL your devices for each Dashboard or only the devices used on that Dashboard? I would highly recommend doing the latter.

1 Like

I concur with @aaiyar's recommendation. I have A LOT of devices, and now I have set it so that only the ones I need are on the dashboard. I ended-up creating a bunch of dashboards and linking them through tiles that point to one another. Works well that way and I have not seen it be inaccessible for a while.

I have made a request to add functionality that would allow for extra (devices not used in a dashboard) to be removed. That would make it much easier to clean them up. Hoping they will eventually implement it!

After following the instructions of only enabling the needed devices, it looks to be working better, Thanks for the help. If I do have the issue again, I quit the app and relaunch and I get back in without issue.