iOS, Android and other client Apps

On the topic of location awareness, i have yet to see any platform that can do it well (for a reasonable price), outside of "are you home" but i mean more specific, such as down to the room, going to have to wait a few more years for that one no matter what

I am at least happy to see how responsive this community is. I was a little fearful based on how new this platform was (activity wise), but that smartthings breach was just too much for me.

I use my iPhone or iPad when walking around the house to exclude/include. The Hubitat Admin web pages are optimized for mobile devices. Try it. It really works very well.

1 Like

That is really more the technology than the platform. GPS is just not accurate enough for that and that is what your phone relies on. You can install beacons in each and every room and do it that way...

Same here. If I ever find myself in a situation where I have to decide between the Hubitat Classic or Hubitat Connect app to add a device, it's gone!

ahh the phone even shows that it does redirect internally (wasnt reflected on the desktop) and I can just do the chrome "save to desktop" thing that sorta makes it act like an app on the phone.

yeah, exactly, you can do it with like rfid or some other tech's but they are costly and really not all that great. I think really you'd have to find some device that would allow you to triangulate the location of a phone in the house with like Bluetooth of NFC or something... few more years to go :slight_smile:

The technology is there, just not suited for residential applications. Take a look at UWB - Ultra Wide Band Radio technology. 5G will get us closer to that but you would still need an active element in your rooms to really triangulate reliably

1 Like

I'll take a look. thanks.

I think i've hijacked this thread enough. Really appreciate all the input guys and look forward to playing around more!

2 Likes

One thing that seems to get surprisingly little mention on these forums, is the option of sending simple HTTP Get requests from a widget. I recently found HTTP Request Widget for Android, which allows me to make simple widgets that just call a URL.

You can expose any of your devices (including groups and scenes) through the Maker API, and Rule Machine has a special trigger type called "Cloud End Point." Just copy and paste the correct URLs into your widgets.

On iOS your can also make http calls to the Maker API using the iOS Shortcuts app.

I don't really use iOS, and I'm not familiar with that app. When you create shortcuts to URLs, does the shortcut actually try to open the URL in a browser, or does it just silently make the HTTP request in the background?

It does it in the background.

1 Like

gives Hubitat a cohesive experience (single place for notifications and actions to trigger)

That was main purpose behind wanting an app. I know there are multiple ways get a similar result through third party apps, etc but that wasn't the point.

UWB looks promising and now that Apple jumped on board with it's new phone, hopefully it gives a push to the others who have been delaying it. I haven't seen any product out there yet though :frowning: