Invert Switch State

Or just change the wiring on the relay so you don't have to go through convoluted things to reverse the logic.

1 Like

Is there an open source driver for a virtual switch that links to a physical device?

Thx

You can't really do it in just a virtual driver as a driver can't easily talk to other device drivers. You really need a driver plus an app.

So in that case you might as well just use an rm rule plus a virtual switch.

1 Like

Not a driver that I know of, but you could use Simple Automations to accomplish this

1 Like

Interesting to hear about different ways to skin the cat. I'm a software guy, so I would despise fixing a hardware behaviour in software. Those who are more hardware oriented would naturally say that this is trivial to address in software, and it is.

I'm not sure I'd try to "just change the wiring" inside of a smart switch. It doesn't appear from the user manual (https://1d7d2411-2e94-4f8c-a95f-87afc2c677d4.filesusr.com/ugd/6dacfa_4175816441d94fbaa3976988bd051ced.pdf) that the relay is externally SPDT.

In my opinion, best "hardware" solution so far, if possible, is to use a ZWave tool to set the switch to operate as open when off, closed when on, and be done with it. Use it in Hubitat as normal.

Best workaround in software. Create a virtual switch for "Car Charger" and put it on the dashboard. Create a rule that says

Trigger: Car Charger changes

Actions: If Car Charger is on turn real car charger device off, else turn real car charger device on.

Perhaps there's some confusion that the virtual switch must be "linked" in some way to the actual switch. No, not really. Only via this one simple rule.

When I looked at the manual for the specific device in question, the Z-Wave parameter appeared to only impact the behavior of an externally wired-in INPUT switch, not the relay output. Basically, if one hardwired an external switch to those specific inputs, they could use a Z-Wave setting to invert the behavior of that external switch with respect to the output relay. I am not sure that it would actually change the relay's view of 'on' and 'off', but it may be worth a try. Only takes a few minutes to find out.

If you go the route of " Virtual switch" You can just use a simple automation rule instead of writing a rule in rule machine.
This seems like the easiest work around to me.

Absolutely. As it already has the if on, then turn off and vice versa. More fun than creating conditional logic in RM4, agreed.

Now THAT was easy! Perfect solution, thank you.

This is basically how your Simple Automation Rule will look. It uses less resources than RM, so whenever possible, use SA instead of RM. I also use SA for motion lighting (I know there's a motion lighting app, but I haven't taken the time to play with it and SA fits my needs)

1 Like