Intermittent behavior - door fails to lock consistently

Hardware:
1 x HE on latest update (2.1.8.117)
1 x Schlage BE469ZP (Z-Wave)
1 x Zooz Power Switch (Z-Wave) - this is a z-wave repeater
1 x BeSense ZWave Plus, Door and Window Sensor

I have a strange problem I have a rule that is suppose to autolock my external door 5 seconds after it is closed. The triggers are the door sensor being closed and the lock being in the unlocked state.

Occasionally it simply doesn't work and with no particular pattern. We have left the house only to return to find that it was unlocked and never triggered. Other times we would unlock the door with the code and on closing it fails to lock.

It works most times but fails at least one a day. once I realize that the door hasn't auto-locked I open it and close it manually to activate the door sensor and sometimes that activates the trigger other times even that doesn't work. I manually lock the door then if I test it a couple of minutes later it works again.

I have a repeater between the door and HE and it has improved the performance but I am still trying to understand why occasionally it simply fails to work.

See my rule below. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated:

Search the forum for 'schlage' there are many topics regarding issues with Schlage locks, too many to list here. I personally have never had a problem with them, I don't pair them to HE, but many others have reported issues. They were recently removed from the supported device list.

https://community.hubitat.com/search?q=schlage

2 Likes

Z-Wave locks and Hubitat have a somewhat cantankerous relationship.

Some of us have good luck with them, some of us don't. But everyone has luck with Zigbee equivalents.

thanks for the feedback...

Hi.

Did you give this app a shot?
Maybe it can help you out a bit?

Kind regards RogerThat

2 Likes

will check it out thanks...

I put a zwave plus repeater close to the lock and another plus repeater close to the hub. It's made my lock more reliable. Since the schlage is not longer supported, it's hard to swallow that, I've found this to be most reliable in my setup. Problem is that the plus plugs are expensive. I used aeotec. I maybe get a failure once every few months. Be careful it's not just the hub slow down issue. My zwave network has been bucky when the hub slows down and my mesh is solid.

1 Like

early days still but so far it has worked...will monitor over the next few days.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Anson

2 Likes

thanks for that info...actually the hardware I listed is all of my z-wave hardware :grin: I am new to this home automation thing and I don't have a lot of kit so I doubt that it is congestion or hub slow down at this stage. I tried Reliable Locks app for Hubitat and haven't experienced the issue since so will monitor and see.

Cheers
Anson

It was mentioned that having a zwave plus close to the hub and the lock will make your lock more reliable because it supports beaming. I have no idea. Just what I've read. Good luck! Enerwave makes a cheaper zwave plus plug, but they're ugly.

1 Like

ok so the rule lock is working mofe reliably but the lock is activated even when the door is opened and not in the closed position. Any suggested changes to the rule shown above?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Anson

Why not use the built in auto lock functionality of the lock? Installer code +9 to toggle. Locks the lock 30 seconds after unlock.

I don't use Reliable Locks but here is the rule I use. The ELSE-IF is there because the kids like to lock the door while it's open.

1 Like

Nice .. I like the kid contingency. Great added touch.

2 Likes

Isn’t the kid contingency a bit of a security risk? Trick the door sensor into believing it’s open and the door unlocks... Depending on the door sensor this could be easy... Hope you have a hard to trick door sensor:)

You'd have to get through the other entry door first.

1 Like

You'd have to have inside knowledge of the contingency

1 Like

Why not use the built in auto lock functionality of the lock? Installer code +9 to toggle. Locks the lock 30 seconds after unlock.

I have no idea how to implement that. Care to elaborate?

TIA
Anson

Will try this and see if it's a fit for my scenario. Thanks again.

Cheers
Anson

On the lock, enter the installer code (sticker on your manual or on the lock) and then 9. The lock will beep once. Then it will lock itself automatically every time it's unlocked-- no hub communication needed.