Inter-Hub Integration

I just purchased an HE. I have much more to learn about the HE community and the HE hub.
I did receive the greeting message, however I did not learn much about the whole HE community.

There are several issues with Home Automation Inter-Hub (HE with other hubs) integration.
Please consider adding support categories. I'm thinking: 1) Lighting, 2) Door locks, 3) Alerts & Events, 4) Sensors, 5) Logging, 6) Maintenance, 7) Security, 8) Inter-Hub 9) Development ...

I've been using the Amazon Alexa Echo+ since it was first released.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to have an event detected by the HE to be announced by Alexa. I suppose I'll figure out more things once I get the HE and start poking around. I was unable to proactively figure-out how to activate Alexa from an event detected by the HE.

Thank you in advance.

1st, add the built in Amazon Echo Skill.

2nd, use the Echo Speaks app to add and setup your Echo devices within HE.

3rd, use the built in Notifications app or create rules in Rule Machine to announce things on your Echo devices.

2 Likes

@george1 Don't be afraid to ask specific questions as you begin adding to your home automation project. I would strongly urge you to have a look at the List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation before you buy anything and again ask questions if there is any confusion.

2 Likes

I got my HE installed and added a "Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor".
I installed the "Echo Speaks" App, "Echo Speaks Actions", and "Echo Speaks Zones".
I also loaded the "Echo Speaks Driver" and "Echo Speaks Websocket".
Note that when configuring "Echo Speaks", I disabled the "Deploy server to Henoku", however I did not find a HE "node server". Is using the Henoku server a requirement or is there a "node server" install procedure?

The Echo Speaks server can be found at @tonesto7's GitHub. You can deploy it to any platform that runs NodeJs (like a Raspberry Pi). If you're unfamiliar with NodeJs, it will probably be easier to "Deploy server to Heroku".

Also, it will be beneficial for you in the long run to build strong zigbee and z-wave meshes before adding battery powered devices like the Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor.

How to build a solid Zigbee Mesh - Hubitat Documentation
How to build a solid Z-Wave Mesh - Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

Maybe running NodeJs on the HE should be considered.

Will never happen (at least not on this hardware - in the future, who knows? But I wouldn't expect it).

They are intentionally keeping the hub focused in what it will run (and just as importantly - what it won't run), and providing options like makerapi, etc, for external integrations.

For a commercial product support (in development and actual customer support) goes up exponentially if you allow generic code.

Remember, Hubitat is not an open or open source solution like Home Assistant, etc. They decide what can run on the hub, and I don't see that ever changing.

2 Likes

There are no built-in Hubitat integrations that I know off that require NodeJs. Echo Speaks is a community integration for TTS via Alexa devices (and a bunch of other things).

There is built-in support for TTS via supported devices like Sonos speakers.

So like @JasonJoel, I think it's unlikely that Hubitat will ever open up the HE to run NodeJs apps or Python apps or anything like that.

1 Like

I was able to get Echo Alexa app to announce when motion is detected by using: the HE Amazon Echo Skill, the Hubitat skill on Alexa, and an Alexa routine that announces "Front door Motion" when the HE replicates the Hue Outdoor motion sensor device to Alexa.
Note that the Hue Outdoor motion sensor also measures temperature, however Alexa does not currently have a skill to accept a verbal request to read and verbally report the temperature.